Bantam Pasty Butt

Gxhoob

Hatching
Apr 9, 2024
Hi all, I have a bantam chick who’s around 5 days old. This morning I woke up and she was face down and barely breathing. Upon further investigation I found extreme pasty butt and possible prolapse. I picked her up and cleaned her as well as used coconut oil to clean the prolapse. I’ve since been trying to rehydrate her using a syringe and I’ve seen some reaction. It looks as though she’s in respiratory distress due to her opening and closing her beak. Every time I give her water she springs back to life, but she is now drooling which makes me think I may be giving her too much. I know bantams are fragile little things but I want to help this baby get back. Advice?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 20
Hi all, I have a bantam chick who’s around 5 days old. This morning I woke up and she was face down and barely breathing. Upon further investigation I found extreme pasty butt and possible prolapse. I picked her up and cleaned her as well as used coconut oil to clean the prolapse. I’ve since been trying to rehydrate her using a syringe and I’ve seen some reaction. It looks as though she’s in respiratory distress due to her opening and closing her beak. Every time I give her water she springs back to life, but she is now drooling which makes me think I may be giving her too much. I know bantams are fragile little things but I want to help this baby get back. Advice?
Update: she has turned for the worse. I think I may have gotten to her too late.

I had a bantam that this happened to right around day 4-5. I got a syringe and dropped some drops of egg yolk down in its mouth, sort of force fed it.
I then added a tiny bit of honey to some warm water and did the same. Just a few drops at a time. Within an hour it was more lively and doing better. I did this every 10 minutes or so.

Back
Top Bottom