Bantam Cochin frizzle w/ mixed backyard flock

spcmoken

Songster
May 26, 2019
Hello,
I am the proud momma of 16 ish chickens (currently more since I have some roosters that have to go lol) my backyard flock is a hobby flock that is very mixed. We have easter eggers, bielefelder, leg horn, black star and mixed chickens ... Etc.
We also have 3 young *Black Bantam Cochin Frizzle hens* who JUST started laying this week. The frizzle gene was actually a surprise as they were advertised as bantams at the store, as chicks. Now, since they are fairly small, and I have a extra large bielefelder rooster, do I need to separate them, they are 3 of 8 chicks I added to our flock a few months ago. Should I get them their own rooster? Now being juvies, they are integrating into the flock of adults, fairly easily as I have done continued safe exposure for the past 2 months, keeping them in a run, in the coop, where they were together, but behind a fence. (I keep my chickens in a large old converted garage shop so there is good space. )
QUESTIONS: DO THEY NEED THEIR OWN ROO?
SHOULD THEY BE SEPARATED?
CAN THEY BREED WITH REGULAR SIZED ROOS?
IS IT OK TO HATCH FRIZZLE/MIX FLOCK HYBRIDS?
Everything I'm finding online suggests that it's fine to keep them together, but I wanted to ask all of you, who have much more experience then me.
(I plan to eventually become a specific breed breeder in the future and produce clean lines, but am no where near that yet, and will likely not use this current flock. These are my daughter's pets and are hobby chickens ) lol
Thank you all for your advice !

Hello,
I am the proud momma of 16 ish chickens (currently more since I have some roosters that have to go lol) my backyard flock is a hobby flock that is very mixed. We have easter eggers, bielefelder, leg horn, black star and mixed chickens ... Etc.
We also have 3 young *Black Bantam Cochin Frizzle hens* who JUST started laying this week. The frizzle gene was actually a surprise as they were advertised as bantams at the store, as chicks. Now, since they are fairly small, and I have a extra large bielefelder rooster, do I need to separate them, they are 3 of 8 chicks I added to our flock a few months ago. Should I get them their own rooster? Now being juvies, they are integrating into the flock of adults, fairly easily as I have done continued safe exposure for the past 2 months, keeping them in a run, in the coop, where they were together, but behind a fence. (I keep my chickens in a large old converted garage shop so there is good space. )
QUESTIONS: DO THEY NEED THEIR OWN ROO?
SHOULD THEY BE SEPARATED?
CAN THEY BREED WITH REGULAR SIZED ROOS?
IS IT OK TO HATCH FRIZZLE/MIX FLOCK HYBRIDS?
Everything I'm finding online suggests that it's fine to keep them together, but I wanted to ask all of you, who have much more experience then me.
(I plan to eventually become a specific breed breeder in the future and produce clean lines, but am no where near that yet, and will likely not use this current flock. These are my daughter's pets and are hobby chickens ) lol
Thank you all for your advice !
I'd be excited to see what you decide when the time comes: which specific breed and all the good stuff surrounding it all.

I'd be excited to see what you decide when the time comes: which specific breed and all the good stuff surrounding it all.
I have my sight on several goose breeds, which I have already started adding: Canada geese, Bar Headed Geese, Hawaiian Geese, Ross Goose, Cackling Goose, Cape Barren & Egyptian geese. I also plan to breed endangered breeds like the cotton patch etc (but haven't looked into all of them yet)
In the chicken category, I will definitely be producing black star chickens as I have a personal love and passion for them, plus they are dual purpose, sex link chicks with amazing personalities! I plan to research endangered and rare breeds along with fun breeds.
My end goal will be to do this ETHICALLY!! And on a SMALLER SCALE! The main goal will be to give our birds a amazing life and create an our own slice of paradise for ourselves and out pets, all of them .

Last edited:
We have 2 bantam cochin frizzle barnyard mix eggs incubating! About a week from hatch! (I'm in TX so it's still very warm/hot) I'm very curious on how they will turn out lol. The "mix flock" is my 11 yo daughters flock! The geese are mine lol

We have 2 bantam cochin frizzle barnyard mix eggs incubating! About a week from hatch! (I'm in TX so it's still very warm/hot) I'm very curious on how they will turn out lol. The "mix flock" is my 11 yo daughters flock! The geese are mine lol
I have 5 brahmas and 5 turken coming within two days (from a mix-up last hatchery order). Of course I'm not ready (coop still being worked on); so going to have to get yet another brooder (for living room as I have TWO brooders going in the sewing room). Coop HAS to be done by end of next week. Need to order more wire; can't do that until the 3rd. This is when/why I hate being poor (oh and impatient).

Back
Top Bottom