Bald head

skyefry

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2023
Hi all!! I have 2 backyard easter eggers and an about a month ago I noticed Billie (pictured) started to lose some head feathers. I assumed she was molting as quite a few other feathers began to look frayed at the ends. However fast forward and here I am asking for advice! I do not believe she is molting, but her feathers look strange. Some are frayed, some are pin feathers and some simply look like single pieces of hair. I’ve never seen anything like it. They get 16% protein crumble from nature wise and have access to clean water 24/7. She is otherwise healthy and lays daily. I’ve seen my other hen peck her a few times but never to the extent of pulling feathers. They don’t have mites or ringworm as I have checked them both over for other signs. I just am stumped and would like someone’s opinion on what to try! (Also just for context: they roost at night together, but my other hen usually sleeps with her head UNDER Billie’s chest and feathers aren’t missing there) Any suggestions would be MAJORLY appreciated!!

Attachments

• IMG_5336.jpeg
    IMG_5336.jpeg
    526.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5337.jpeg
    IMG_5337.jpeg
    707.9 KB · Views: 7
How old are your birds, and how sure are you that they are both hens? It looks like a classic feather loss from a rooster asking a hen to lift her tail.

Another idea, once I had a couple of hens poking their head into a fence, and pulling off feathers when they pulled the head out.

How old are your birds, and how sure are you that they are both hens? It looks like a classic feather loss from a rooster asking a hen to lift her tail.

Another idea, once I had a couple of hens poking their head into a fence, and pulling off feathers when they pulled the head out.
They just turned 1 and they are both hens! They both lay daily:) Their pens holes are too small for their heads to go through.

Back
Top Bottom