Baby Rooster just started crowing. Will i get eggs soon?

You're asking if in a bunch of chicks, the roosters (cockerels) are starting to crow, does that mean hens (pullets) will lay soon?

There's no connection really. Some cockerels crow when still very young. Pullets are pretty standard at the age they start to lay, though it varies by breed. Rhode Island Reds will lay at a younger age than Buff Orps (ime) for example. Time of year they were hatched can throw that off a little.

People can probably give you good estimates if you post what breed(s) and age(s) your pullets are. :)

Oops, sorry, I type slow. How old are your silkies? They can take a while. Some are not very reliable layers either, but they are usually very good setters.

It can also take a while for new chickens to settle in and start laying when they are moved to a new place.

Cockerels tend to mature quite a bit earlier than pullets. No, there is no connection between a cockerel starting to crow and pullets starting to lay eggs.

Thanks every one. Im just impatient. I want to see them lay a egg, so I can try to encourage them to go broody.

I need to replace what that dang coon took away from me. I want a permanent egg incubator, so I got some silkies.

Thanks every one. Im just impatient. I want to see them lay a egg, so I can try to encourage them to go broody.

I need to replace what that dang coon took away from me. I want a permanent egg incubator, so I got some silkies.
Sorry to hear about the coon. :(

Silkies are great broodies.

I have one right now that as soon as she saw the older silky with babies, she immediately went broody, and actually did a perfect job of setting. She was less than a year old (may still be, I'd have to check) and has a couple of chicks I gave her. They often aren't the best mamas the first time ... not for lack of trying but they sometimes make mistakes. My young hen will walk into the coop at night and if her few babies don't follow her closely enough, she leaves them in the run crying and they have to be guided in. The older hen had ten (much harder to corral) and she patiently went in and out, in and out, waiting on them and calling, until they all learned to use the ramp and go in and out themselves.

I'm not sure it's the WISEST thing, but you might encourage them to go broody by leaving dummy eggs (or even round light stones or golf balls) in the nest box. I had one young silky brood a pile of rocks she gathered before she started laying. And you can try sneaking a couple very young chicks under them. But I'm learning right now the hard way that those hatched in sterile invubators are susceptible to coccidiosis, which I never had in my own chicks. Of course, you could always buy hatching eggs to give them if they look like they are going to brood - worse case scenario you'd be out the cost of the eggs if they turn out not to be fully dedicated.

It always took my silkies longer to mature enough, breed, lay, brood, and hatch their own babies. They are slower coming into lay than some breeds - or at least the ones I have had always were. I've had three sources/lines of silkies over the years, and that was true for all of them.

Back
Top Bottom