Baby Pigeon Crops?!

ChinkenSingers

Hatching
5 Years
May 30, 2014
We are raising two baby pigeons. They are about 13 days old, and we have been feeding them Kaytee baby bird formula. I know that it's important to let their crop empty before feeding again, and that feeding is supposed to occur every 4 or so hours, or about 4 times a day. My problem is that my pigeons seem to digest very slowly, and I haven't been able to feed them more than 2 (typical) or 3 (very rare) times per day. Their crops seem to empty very slowly. Is this okay? They always want to eat and I want to make sure theyre eating enough, but I'm terrified of giving them any issues on account of an unemptied crop. Please help!

We are raising two baby pigeons. They are about 13 days old, and we have been feeding them Kaytee baby bird formula. I know that it's important to let their crop empty before feeding again, and that feeding is supposed to occur every 4 or so hours, or about 4 times a day. My problem is that my pigeons seem to digest very slowly, and I haven't been able to feed them more than 2 (typical) or 3 (very rare) times per day. Their crops seem to empty very slowly. Is this okay? They always want to eat and I want to make sure theyre eating enough, but I'm terrified of giving them any issues on account of an unemptied crop. Please help!

A concern here is are they warm enough. Digestion slows way down if the chicks are at a too cool temperature. If this might be a possibility try putting them on a heat pad on a low setting. If this is the problem the crops will empty at a much faster rate and you'll need to feed more often. Kaytee baby bird formula is what I use and I think it is great. With this product you will feed less often and that is normal. Do the babies look healthy and alert; if so there's a good chance that everything is fine.

They sound too cold.. often what causes sour crop. my pigeons, except very few homers, have ever let crops get half empty at best. so i don't know were supposed avian vets etc get that from, unless they're anticipating too low of heat n saying let digest all so sour rotting food crop doesn't happen.. parrots a lot wait to feed until crop low to empty I've noticed, but some fed constantly also.
I used to make a lil circle or tent type thing in ten gallon tank, having heating pad on top sides and maybe botton (they like to snuggle naturally upward and to side, and heat only underneath or at all, unnatural and seems not to work so good) but usually half to inch hardware cloth grate. I I fed kay-tee exact and or special supplement with more probios, n then layer pellets soon after week tops. I never lost a squeaker or parrotlet that way yet.. years of rescuing n then breeding both.
good luck to you n your new lil bundles of much joy to come!

Letting the crop empty completely is most important with very young or ill babies. Not so important with chicks/squeakers/babies that are healthy and over a week old.

Thank you so much! The room where they are is quite warm, facing west and the sun hits quite nicely. The first couple nights we had a heating lamp indirectly near-ish to them, but were advised that it was too much. They are very alert and very chatty. They seem otherwise healthy. Is it okay to feed them if there's a little bit of food in their crops? They're about 13 days old today. Again, thank you so much!

Last edited:

Thank you so much! The room where they are is quite warm, facing west and the sun hits quite nicely. The first couple nights we had a heating lamp indirectly near-ish to them, but were advised that it was too much. They are very alert and very chatty. They seem otherwise healthy. Is it okay to feed them if there's a little bit of food in their crops? They're about 13 days old today. Again, thank you so much!

Watch their behavior closely and examine the crop periodically. If the crop is firm but pliant I would not worry about a little food left in it. Pigeon parents feed when the young beg. I doubt they wait for crops to empty. What kind of pigeons are they? And how long have you been hand feeding them? Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom