Baby duck abandoned by mum

Kumeli

Hatching
May 11, 2024
Hi,
I am a newbie. We have Muscovy ducks who decided to brood early in the year.
We had 13 ducklings hatched, started 3 days ago, but 2 died over the last couple of days. It's been bitterly cold over nights, very unusual for this time of the year.
This morning, another duckling hatched, but both mamas and the siblings were going around, and he looked very lonely and cold, so I took him home. It's quite cold where they are, and don't think he would have dried without mum.
Now what do I do next? I made him a nest in a small cardboard box and put him on the windowsill, where it's very warm in the sun, at least right now.
He is hopping around and singing now and then, and then sometimes he would go very quiet.
Do you think he will live? Will I be able to reintroduce him to his mamas and siblings and when?
The first picture shows the baby, the second the family, but this morning he was alone among the eggs and everyone was gone exploring.

Attachments

• IMG_20240511_084002.jpg
    IMG_20240511_084002.jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240510_093031.jpg
    IMG_20240510_093031.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 7
Do you think he will live? Will I be able to reintroduce him to his mamas and siblings and when?
The first picture shows the baby, the second the family, but this morning he was alone among the eggs and everyone was gone exploring.
I don't know if he will live or not, or if he will be healthy.

If he seems generally healthy but was just too young to keep up, I would probably try to put him underneath the mother tonight, in the dark. There is a good chance he will be able to keep up with the group tomorrow.

If he seems sick or weak, he may not be able to keep up. You could choose to brood him yourself (provide a heat lamp or heat plate as a source of warmth, make sure he has a safe brooder and food and water). I don't know what to suggest beyond that.

He seems active enough, eating as well and trying to get out of the box. He just hatched two or three days later than everyone else, and the mums are going around with their broods by day, they are not sitting on the eggs.
He hatched this night probably, and it's still rather cool in their coop. The other ducklings are doing just fine, but this one is not going to keep up.
The next night will be abnormally cool as well, so I don't want to put him there yet. Maybe on Monday, because it's going to be warmer then.

He seems active enough, eating as well and trying to get out of the box. He just hatched two or three days later than everyone else, and the mums are going around with their broods by day, they are not sitting on the eggs.
He hatched this night probably, and it's still rather cool in their coop. The other ducklings are doing just fine, but this one is not going to keep up.
The next night will be abnormally cool as well, so I don't want to put him there yet. Maybe on Monday, because it's going to be warmer then.

If he is already trying to get out of the box, I might try it tonight anyway. A duckling under the mother is not going to get cold as long as he stays there (during the night). Then in the daytime, if he can keep up with the others, he will probably be fine as well. Or if he has a problem during the daytime, hopefully you will be able to notice and intervene at that point.

Sooner is generally better if he is going to go back with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom