Baby chick with boil on crop or breast

Barbh24

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2022
Update: poor baby didn't make it overnight. Then you for all the suggestions!!

Hi! I have a 5 day old chick that seems a bit lethargic today and wasn't eating. I felt her crop and it seemed hard so i massaged it with a little olive oil and noticed there is a blister or a boil on her chest. Any thoughts on how I can help or what caused it?

I got the chick from a friend who ordered them from a hatchery...

Attachments

• 20220409_224034.jpg
    20220409_224034.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220409_224200.jpg
    20220409_224200.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Due to the location of the bubble, it may be an air sac. When an air sac gets inflamed, it's called air saculitis. If the chick is behaving sickly, this lends more credence to it being an air sac issue.

Due to the location of the bubble, it may be an air sac. When an air sac gets inflamed, it's called air saculitis. If the chick is behaving sickly, this lends more credence to it being an air sac issue.

So i punctured it with a syringe and infection came out...

The chick's right side? By infection came out, what do you mean? Watery fluid or chicken pus which is waxy and solid?
Yes, the chick's right side. I poked it with a syringe and yellow fluid came out.... it was thick but i didn't squeeze hard before it came out. It wasn't solid though.

Yes, the chick's right side. I poked it with a syringe and yellow fluid came out.... it was thick but i didn't squeeze hard before it came out. It wasn't solid though.
This is it on a tissue.

Attachments

• 20220409_235602.jpg
    20220409_235602.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 13
Could the chick have gotten burned by a heat lamp somehow?
Not at our house but I'm checking with my friend who has them for a bit before i picked them up from her. She's very cautious so i don't think so but I'm checking. Our heat lamp is about 2 1/2 feet above them.

Hi! I have a 5 day old chick that seems a bit lethargic today and wasn't eating. I felt her crop and it seemed hard so i massaged it with a little olive oil and noticed there is a blister or a boil on her chest. Any thoughts on how I can help or what caused it?

I got the chick from a friend who ordered them from a hatchery...
Do you have a mirror that can reflect off the heat lmap and cause the chick to burn? That happened to one of my freinds.

Back
Top Bottom