At what age to harvest roosters

Thank you all for the advice. I certainly appreciate it. I’m going to be a day or two behind getting them outside. I’ve been doing minor modifications and finishing up the coop and run today. It’s like 95% ready. I just have to install the wire apron around it because that’s how a fox got my last hens 2 years ago. Digging under. I’m going to place them all in there together and see how it goes. And hopefully keep a close eye to see which cockerel has the best temperament around 16 weeks I reckon. And put the rest in the freezer camp lol. Love that.

I do want to mention that the original poster has NOT raised these birds together, and his rooster chicks ARE older than the pullets. Just a couple of weeks, but that would make quite a difference in rooster and hen chicks.
ya thats the biggest thing im afraid of mrs K. the cockerels are 1 and a half times the size of the hens. and they fight with each other in their brooder. so if i had to take a guess, im pretty sure its going to go south quick when i put them all together

I have been thinking on this, and have another suggestion, if you want. You really don't need another coop, a large box would work for a while, I have in my run, an old plastic tool box that used to fit in the bed of a pick up, I laid it on it's side, and prop the doors up, becomes a little porch. They just need some protection from the weather and the wind. A tote on its side, would work fine. Look around, I don't live in suburbia, so I use a lot of junk for my birds.

So if you want, section off a corner, or divide the run the best you can, and add a mini shelter, a three sided plywood box, or even a cardboard box which would not work long term, but it might buy you a little more time to just see.

However, the advice above if it does go south do something, is good advice.

Mrs K

I have been thinking on this, and have another suggestion, if you want. You really don't need another coop, a large box would work for a while, I have in my run, an old plastic tool box that used to fit in the bed of a pick up, I laid it on it's side, and prop the doors up, becomes a little porch. They just need some protection from the weather and the wind. A tote on its side, would work fine. Look around, I don't live in suburbia, so I use a lot of junk for my birds.

So if you want, section off a corner, or divide the run the best you can, and add a mini shelter, a three sided plywood box, or even a cardboard box which would not work long term, but it might buy you a little more time to just see.

However, the advice above if it does go south do something, is good advice.

Mrs K
Thanks mrs k. I can certainly build a few boxes at work tomorrow. I have a ton of lumber laying around. I’ll do that. Build 2 or 3 hide out boxes. And see how it goes

ya thats the biggest thing im afraid of mrs K. the cockerels are 1 and a half times the size of the hens. and they fight with each other in their brooder. so if i had to take a guess, im pretty sure its going to go south quick when i put them all together
I just don't think that a week difference in age is that big of a deal. Space for them might be the issue with the fighting right now. At 8wks they should be out running around, so they might be a little stir crazy depending on the size of your brooder. I think you have a good plan though. Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom