At what age can you sex a cochin by looks?

Jacklynn

Songster
9 Years
Dec 16, 2010
Southern Ontario, Canada
Not vent sexing, but looks in general ?
smile.png

I can tell at different stages: ie--day 3, three weeks, 8 weeks (then I lose them), 16 weeks....

It kinda depends on the bird. Some are obvious right away, some are sneaky. Did you have a picture of the bird in question?

Different with bantams and standards and then also with different blood lines. The ones I work with I can tell definatively at 2 weeks old for the standards and 1 week old on the bantams.

Matt

How about a Frizzled Cochin? I keep thinking, oh, must be a roo, and then I think that comb should be much larger now... But Fritzie is only 9 wks old.

Lousy picture - anybody wanna make a guess?
41679_fritziehead.jpg

Whoops, sorry for the hijack!

It's easiest to tell if you have more than one. Usually by 3 weeks or so the boys will start to show a bigger comb that should be more pink than flesh color.

Last edited:
I have several cochins, and I'm pretty confident at the difference between males and females now at 8 weeks. I started being able to tell around 4 weeks when the boys started getting red combs and wattles.

Female (7.5 weeks)
coopbabies034.jpg

Male (7.5 weeks)
coopbabies008.jpg

Female (5.5 weeks)
5weekchick008.jpg

Male (5.5 weeks)
5weekchick041.jpg

At least I'm PRETTY confident on those!
big_smile.png

I don't remember exactly when, but I knew my roo (bantam cochin) by a month or so. His comb just turned red and started growing, while the girls were still light pink and small. Pretty much like the pics posted
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom