At what age can newborn ducks go into water?

They can go in the first day with supervision. Make sure any container you put them in has a way for them to get out, and lit time to 10 minutes or less.

Clint

I asked the man at the feed store, as they had a notice up that stated "your ducklings can swim after 4 wks of age. He said that the down on baby ducks can get saturated and weigh them down. They don't have that problem after their grown up feathers come in. I have let my 1 day old ducklings in water--but it was about 1" deep. I found out from experience that what he says makes sense. One little duckling got in a small pail of water (for the duck parents) and couldn't get out!! It started hollering it's head off and mommy came and picked it up by the back of the neck (like cats and dogs do to their babies) and took it out!! One other day another baby duck got in water too deep, and I ran and rescued it! The mama duck thought I was hurting her baby and she flew at me flapping her wings!!!

It is a problem to keep water available all the time, and it can't be deep!! If you're not home all day, they splash it all out and you aren't there to replenish it!!! And, you don't want a little one to drowned!!! What solutions do you use???

Never had ducklings before and I live in the city on 1/3 acre. Yard is fenced but I will never leave them alone outside. I will probably hatch them and then have to give them to a friend in the country when they are around 5 weeks old. I have had chickens now for 3 years. I will play with them for awhile and let granddaughter hold them a bit.

Without mum I'd start the baths after a couple of days - but always supervised (why would you want to miss bath time anyway!). Make sure the water is warm enough and dry them off when done - they'll start preening with a little encouragement.

If the babies are with mum then they'll be in the water from day one - having raised them by hand, and fussing over them constantly; I was amazed how hardy the little buggers are when it comes down to it!

They can swim easily and well at just a few days old. However, its not that the down gets soaked and weighs them down, its that they can't keep warm, because the evaporating water is cooling their bodies, so they go hypothermic, easily. Very easily. When the real feathers are in (this age varies with breed) they can keep dry, so can swim all they want.

Here is what we do-

Small batch of 'pet' ducks": I let my 11 yo swim them from day 3. The water must be warm, only a few inches deep, and they must have a way out and in. This only goes on for 5-10 mins once a day, and in the sun. After, he must dry the ducks and put them back under the heat lamp, on dry bedding.

Large batch of 'commercial/meat/egg ducks': I offer them a kiddie pool once every duck in the group is feathered and not before. They must have a way in and a way out. Ducks that aren't as sharp are at risk of not being able to figure the way out and getting chilled. So make sure they all know how before you walk away the first time.

For Girls and Guineas-

How to manage water when I'm not home- Give them a large waterer which is situated inside a dog bowl or large pan and raised up on a brick. Most of the splashing ends up in the bowl. I use a 1g water inside a large dog bowl. I have a small brooder water attached to a mason jar sitting on the lid of a travel mug, inside a soup bowl as well.

Also, I use a wire bottom grow out pen for weeks 3-6. I put a bell waterer inside, with a 5g reservoir. They can splash all they want and the ducks stay dry.

After week 6, they can drink their water outside the coop and splashes go on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom