At what age can chicks have scratch?

My chicks roam with the flock and get scratch from the very start. I usually restrict corn for the first few weeks as a choking hazard, but they seem to enjoy the other grains.

EDT: And for your second question. Mealworms. My chickens ignore them, but everyone else I've ever talked to said theirs adore them. Perhaps it's a matter of I didn't introduced them to my flock at a young age?

As long as they have grit, you can give them scratch at any age. Keep in mind, it's not a complete feed so should never be the majority of the diet.
A chunk of sod from the area where their run is going to be is always a good idea. In their first few weeks of life, they are still somewhat protected by the antibodies in the yolk. This is the prime time to expose them to all the microbes in the soil so that they can build up a natural immunity, in a controlled environment. And it's just lots of fun for the chicks to eat the greens and bugs and scratch around in the dirt.

My chicks roam with the flock and get scratch from the very start. I usually restrict corn for the first few weeks as a choking hazard, but they seem to enjoy the other grains.

EDT: And for your second question. Mealworms. My chickens ignore them, but everyone else I've ever talked to said theirs adore them. Perhaps it's a matter of I didn't introduced them to my flock at a young age?

As long as they have grit, you can give them scratch at any age. Keep in mind, it's not a complete feed so should never be the majority of the diet.
A chunk of sod from the area where their run is going to be is always a good idea. In their first few weeks of life, they are still somewhat protected by the antibodies in the yolk. This is the prime time to expose them to all the microbes in the soil so that they can build up a natural immunity, in a controlled environment. And it's just lots of fun for the chicks to eat the greens and bugs and scratch around in the dirt.

x2!!!

I sure hope scratch comes in something smaller than 50 lbs! It would take a few bantam chicks forever to go through it! I'm learning all I can about what they eat, although I am getting the idea from reading on this board that they can pretty much eat whatever humans eat. As a treat, of course. Now I have to decide on what starter food to give them. Mash or crumbles? I'm going to buy a SMALL bag if possible until I know what they prefer. I appreciate all the help!

I live in the high desert, so no sod here at all! It's all sand! I'll give them a little bit daily to act as grit when I give them a bit of scratch. I suppose a handful of my sand will help with their immunity as well as sod would?
If you have fine sand, that will not suffice as grit. Grit needs to be an appropriate size in order to do it's job of grinding their food.

Back
Top Bottom