Aug 8, 2021
Hey y'all!

I recently hatched 2 chicks; the first hatched early (18-19 days) and since the other one hadn't hatched yet (on the 21st day), my parents urged me to assist it.

It turned out pretty bad.

The chick came out alive, thank God, but it definitely wasn't fully done "cooking" in it's egg: it had a bit of yolk unabsorbed, had toes that seemed too soft, was pretty lethargic, and incredibly small, etc. It's been 2 days since the lil guy has hatched but he's still kinda lethargic, has unabsorbed yolk, and doesn't want to open his eyes...

Looking at the size difference, the first chick (1 day older) is more than half it's size

Is there anything I can do for the little guy? Or is it just too late?

Attachments

• IMG_20221001_203649633.jpg
    IMG_20221001_203649633.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 25
Day 21 was definitely to early to assist, but what's done is done. What breed are they? Is this a recent picture or right after hatch? He does look a lot smaller than the other chick and still looks wet. It also looks like he has crooked toes. Right now I'd feed him egg yolk for a day or two and give him save-a-chick electrolytes to help give him a boost.

If a chick hatches and has not fully absorbed the yolk it will be lethargic, weak, sleepy and not eating. They are supposed to finish absorbing in the egg, but when that doesn't happen they need to be left alone somewhere warm until they fully absorb that yolk. They are not meant to be up and moving until that yolk is absorbed. In the egg the chick would still be curled up resting while the yolk finishes up before starting to hatch.

Okay, I really appreciate that y'all, I have a couple questions

It's too late, if you let live it will be a handicap chicken. Also probably short life span.
Is there a quick and ethical way to cull him other than cutting his head off?

Day 21 was definitely to early to assist, but what's done is done. What breed are they? Is this a recent picture or right after hatch? He does look a lot smaller than the other chick and still looks wet. It also looks like he has crooked toes. Right now I'd feed him egg yolk for a day or two and give him save-a-chick electrolytes to help give him a boost.
I don't know what breed he is since a distant friend of mine gave me the eggs.
That was a recent picture.
He's still wet because I've kept him in the incubator, hoping that his yolk would absorb if he's still wet and warm.
Question! Should I mix the yolk up with the save-a-chick? And how would I get that mixture into him; do I need a syringe or anything?

If a chick hatches and has not fully absorbed the yolk it will be lethargic, weak, sleepy and not eating. They are supposed to finish absorbing in the egg, but when that doesn't happen they need to be left alone somewhere warm until they fully absorb that yolk. They are not meant to be up and moving until that yolk is absorbed. In the egg the chick would still be curled up resting while the yolk finishes up before starting to hatch.
Okay. Would putting him in a small cup with it's bottom cut out into the incubator work?

Even in the incubator he should not be that wet.
Is there a quick and ethical way to cull him other than cutting his head off?
This is going to be the quickest and most humane way to cull.
Should I mix the yolk up with the save-a-chick? And how would I get that mixture into him; do I need a syringe or anything?
If you want to try and save him, I'd mix the save-a-chick and yolk together. I'd place the yolk in front of him first and see if he drinks on his own. If he doesn't I'd carefully dip is beak in the yolk. Make sure you only do this for a second or less so you don't drown him.

The chick passed yesterday, unfortunately.

Thank you all for your help! I'll be sure to learn from my mistakes and do a lot better if I hatch another batch of eggs!
You guys are an amazing community and I absolutely love your quickness to action!
Thanks again 👋

Back
Top Bottom