Aspiring Breeder & Exhibitor

ASteelman

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
Norman, OK, USA
Hi everyone! My name is Adrienne. I am new to the forum, but not to chickens. I think I ordered my first batch of chicks from a hatchery five, maybe six years ago? Most of those chickens are long gone now unfortunately, due to predators getting into their coop.

My husband and I have gotten a lot better at building secure coops and over the years I've gotten pretty good at incubating eggs, so our chicken population is currently 21 birds. Here's the breakdown:

x13 wheaten and blue wheaten marans of varying ages, including two cockerels
x2 adult blue ameraucanas (breeding pair)
x2 baby olive eggers from my blue ameraucana cock/wheaten marans hen
x2 very old welsummer hens
x2 very old silver laced wyandotte hens

My main goals right now are to continue breeding my marans and ameraucana, with the goal of taking some to compete in shows. I obtained my stock from good breeders so I have a solid start there. I'm also getting started on an olive egger project just for fun (and green eggs).

My main issue right now is limited space due to chicken math :) I am about to set 14 more eggs in the incubator and all my coops/runs are pretty full. I will probably have to cull the silver laced wyandottes, because at five years old they barely lay anymore, and they're also big bullies at the top of the pecking order. I'll probably also sell all my blue wheaten marans once I have a good quality wheaten male to breed.

Another issue is that my pair of ameraucanas don't seem to be successfully mating... I know he is fertile as he just sired the olive egger chicks. Hopefully her eggs I'm about to set are fertilized. It's especially weird because I see them hanging out together all day long...

Anyway, I don't know if anyone will have read this far but I hope to connect with other breeders and/or exhibitors here. I'm sure I'll be posting some threads as my adventures in breeding continue. My avatar photo is my favorite wheaten hen -- she has the best type and comb out of any of my birds.

Hi everyone! My name is Adrienne. I am new to the forum, but not to chickens. I think I ordered my first batch of chicks from a hatchery five, maybe six years ago? Most of those chickens are long gone now unfortunately, due to predators getting into their coop.

My husband and I have gotten a lot better at building secure coops and over the years I've gotten pretty good at incubating eggs, so our chicken population is currently 21 birds. Here's the breakdown:

x13 wheaten and blue wheaten marans of varying ages, including two cockerels
x2 adult blue ameraucanas (breeding pair)
x2 baby olive eggers from my blue ameraucana cock/wheaten marans hen
x2 very old welsummer hens
x2 very old silver laced wyandotte hens

My main goals right now are to continue breeding my marans and ameraucana, with the goal of taking some to compete in shows. I obtained my stock from good breeders so I have a solid start there. I'm also getting started on an olive egger project just for fun (and green eggs).

My main issue right now is limited space due to chicken math :) I am about to set 14 more eggs in the incubator and all my coops/runs are pretty full. I will probably have to cull the silver laced wyandottes, because at five years old they barely lay anymore, and they're also big bullies at the top of the pecking order. I'll probably also sell all my blue wheaten marans once I have a good quality wheaten male to breed.

Another issue is that my pair of ameraucanas don't seem to be successfully mating... I know he is fertile as he just sired the olive egger chicks. Hopefully her eggs I'm about to set are fertilized. It's especially weird because I see them hanging out together all day long...

Anyway, I don't know if anyone will have read this far but I hope to connect with other breeders and/or exhibitors here. I'm sure I'll be posting some threads as my adventures in breeding continue. My avatar photo is my favorite wheaten hen -- she has the best type and comb out of any of my birds.
Welcome. There’s a fabulous Marans thread on here that’s active with great help.

Marans Thread

Good luck!!!

Also, the if you’re on FB, join the marans groups. Bev Davis is actually active in some of the groups and there are many breeders with valuable insight.

Welcome. There’s a fabulous Marans thread on here that’s active with great help.

Marans Thread

Good luck!!!

Also, the if you’re on FB, join the marans groups. Bev Davis is actually active in some of the groups and there are many breeders with valuable insight.

Thank you! I am a member of the Marans Chicken Club USA, and I was in the Facebook group for a while, but I recently deleted it. Facebook is cracking down on animal sales anyway, and I didn't get good interaction on my posts there. Maybe I will rejoin.

Thank you! I am a member of the Marans Chicken Club USA, and I was in the Facebook group for a while, but I recently deleted it. Facebook is cracking down on animal sales anyway, and I didn't get good interaction on my posts there. Maybe I will rejoin.
I find the "other" marans club—on FB—to be the most informative of them all. There's really great breeding and type discussion there. It's called The Marans Club.

I mean, you're better off here, of course, but it is nice additional info. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom