Asian blue????

AHenNamedPepper

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2015
Sharon sc
I purchased two chicks from tractor supply as "Asian blue" I'm not sure that is what she is if you have any thoughts I'm welcome to them the other is solid black

Hi! I got some of these too...I chose all black chicks instead of red/yellow ones - some have little white vests and look a lot like little penguins. From what I've read, this is a relatively new breed. Chickens grow up to be hardy, and are good layers of medium to large size brown eggs. So far, the chicks I have are extremely lively. They are getting feathers fast and although they're not yet 3 weeks old, some are already trying to fly. How are yours doing? Really curious to hear from others who have these Asian Blues.

I got 6 of these from our local TSC. These are the first chickens we have raised so everything is new to me. We are extremely satisfied with these chickens. They are very pretty and don't seem to mind us holding them. Of course they are a little skittish when we first pick them up but only the one we think is a rooster has been at all aggressive and he pecked my daughter. Did not hurt her. I think it was because she was feeding them and he got antsy. There are a few pictures on my profile. My only complaint is that there is NO info on these chickens!

Yes, Jess...most curious chicks will peck at anything. They really like my rings, I have to take them off or be nibbled on. Got my little chick shack built over the weekend, and the Asian Blues are loving it. This little building is for small birds that are too old to be in the brooder but not big enough to go in with the rest of the flock! Need to paint it, DH put shingles on the roof after the sun went down!
I have the door only 1/2 way open. Chicks are having a great time hopping up and down the ramp.

Our little guy is particularly interested in toes now!! Don't wear flip flops around him because he is not shy at all. All of these that we have are pretty out going, follow us around the yard, don't mind being held.

well here are my two "asian blue" pullets at 15 weeks old.... yes they are supposed to be the same breed and no I don't see anything blue about them lol.... still love my girls though!!!
yippiechickie.gif

those are most definitely asian blues. you can get some more info on them at the hoover hatchery website. they sell this breed online. very docile and fast growing chicken. the only thing i gave noticed is with the speed they grow they need an electrolyte mix in their water due to possible malformation in their feet.

Not sure why they decided to call them Asian "Blue"... but here is the info from Hoover hatchery: Note that they are NOT recognized by the APA.

Asia Blue Chickens

The Asia blue Chicken is a relatively new breed, not certified by the APA. Considered a dual purpose breed, theAsia Blue Chicken breed can be raised for meat or egg production.

The most striking characteristic of the Asia Blue Chicken is its blue/green iridescent hue layed over black and red feather pattern. Asia Blue Chickens are slower growing than most broiler breeds; males will reach 4-4.45 lbs in 12 weeks, while females reach that weight on average in 15 weeks.

Male Asia Blues will reach market weight much sooner and the females will lay a good number large brown eggs annually. These Beautiful birds are relatively new to the market and as such are very rare among chicken owners.

clear1x1.gif

clear1x1.gif

Product Facts
Asia Blue Chicken Info

• Adult Weight - Male: up to 5 pounds ; Female: up to 4.5 pounds
  • Color - Green/Blue over Red/Black
  • Purpose - Meat, Egg Layer
  • Egg Production - Good, 200-250/yr
  • Egg Color - Brown
  • Country of Origin - Asia/Mixed Breeds

Back
Top Bottom