Ascites AND bumble foot - help please!

I know! They’re so young! I’ve stopped giving all treats and kitchen scraps Bc I don’t know what else to change, but I’ve put down like 3 birds in a year, all who had to have their bellies tapped every few weeks/monthly. I thought that was what was going on with this one, but I was wrong. I just started a thread with necropsy photos to get some help with what was going on...
How often were you feed these treats/scraps?
I would never feed either again.

Feeding your birds a complete balanced diet...is so much better for their health than feeding them regular treats treats.

Question, this might be kind of dumb, but did you leave any string in your coop. I don't exactly know any symptoms, but if you leave string in your coop, chickens can eat it and get ti tangled in there innards and die, maybe that happened to this hen.? It has never happened to me tho, but it's a thought.

When I first started keeping chickens about 5 years ago, we fed layer feed, not necearily any one particular brand, either from the local feed store or Orschelns, and kitchen scraps, daily. They would occasionally get meal worms and occasionally scratch grain. When I discovered the ascites in a few birds starting about a year ago, I started severely limiting scraps to no dairy or grain, only giving produce. And not much. Just whatever we didn’t eat, ya know, like strawberry tops etc.

I’ve read the horror stories about strings etc, I’m super careful when opening feed bags etc. I didn’t see any evidence of that when I did her necropsy.

Here’s what they looked like. They were BAD. Sadly I found that her ascites were actually what I believe to be egg yolk peritonitis and so we euthanized her. I actually decided to necropsy her so that someone might be able to weigh in on was going on....
I'm sorry for your loss.

Did you take photos you wish to share?

Nevermind....I see you started another thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/necropsy-photos-graphic-help-interpreting-please.1401781/

Question, this might be kind of dumb, but did you leave any string in your coop. I don't exactly know any symptoms, but if you leave string in your coop, chickens can eat it and get ti tangled in there innards and die, maybe that happened to this hen.? It has never happened to me tho, but it's a thought.
Would they eat a wire tie? It's kind of long though, they keep breaking off the tarp.

Back
Top Bottom