Artificial coop lighting, show your setups

Mr MKK FARMS

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Sep 27, 2012
Now that we are going into winter, some people have trouble with egg production due to not enough light in the shortened winter days.

Solution:

Artificial lighting.

I got my lighting up today. I will try and get pictures sometime.
So how do you all get artificial lighting to your coops and barns? Show off your ideas and setups here.
frow.gif

Last edited:
My system is really straight forward, extension cord goes along the ground to the coop where it plugs in to the coop and then I have a normal 60 watt bulb that lights up when we plug in the cord. We use to have a switch but it was shorting because it wasn't big enough to handle all that electrical current, so we took it out. I think I will put in a 100 watt heater bulb so that it gives off a bit more warmth.

As for egg production, the extra light is working already. I got eight eggs today and that's saying a lot compared to what I was getting just a few days ago.
smile.png

I do mine the same way extension cord out to the coop. However I have my light bulb connected to a timer which turns it on and off automatically.

I do mine the same way extension cord out to the coop. However I have my light bulb connected to a timer which turns it on and off automatically.
It seems like everyone but me has a timer, haha Where did you get your timer? That would be incredibly useful because as of now, I have to unplug and plug in the extension cord and its a bit of a pain.
lol.png

It seems like everyone but me has a timer, haha Where did you get your timer? That would be incredibly useful because as of now, I have to unplug and plug in the extension cord and its a bit of a pain.
lol.png
Any hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, even Wally World. Check to see that it is UL approved. If not approved for outside use, keep it in the coop under cover. Also this is the time of the year to find em in the Xmaslight department of any store, they are usually rated for outdoor use.

I use a string of xmas lights with a timer/battery operated, I usually find good ones at QVC. Mine isn't that bright, and since most of my chickens are molting or coming out of a molt I'm not seeing many eggs right now...

I use a string of xmas lights with a timer/battery operated, I usually find good ones at QVC. Mine isn't that bright, and since most of my chickens are molting or coming out of a molt I'm not seeing many eggs right now...
That is certainly creative and decorative at the same time. Good job! I would love to see pictures of your set up.
smile.png

Quote: Okay I'll try and pick one up. How much do they usually go for?

I have no pics of my set up, but rather than be faced with moving and disconnecting electric lines when the weather is rainy or even damp, I sucked it up and ran romex from the house underground to the coop with stops along the way. The coop is actually a pvc or plastic storage building. I installed handy box at one end of the inside top and attached heat lamp at other end of the top. Then added weatherproof switch to outside of run (mistake). I leave the heat lamp on 24/7 unless the temp is above 50. Hens come and go thru slightly open door. I have had chicks less than a year so lots of learning still on the horizon.

I have no pics of my set up, but rather than be faced with moving and disconnecting electric lines when the weather is rainy or even damp, I sucked it up and ran romex from the house underground to the coop with stops along the way. The coop is actually a pvc or plastic storage building. I installed handy box at one end of the inside top and attached heat lamp at other end of the top. Then added weatherproof switch to outside of run (mistake). I leave the heat lamp on 24/7 unless the temp is above 50. Hens come and go thru slightly open door. I have had chicks less than a year so lots of learning still on the horizon.
thumbsup.gif

Got the same thing as everybody else... Except I have two coops to split it between
big_smile.png
How many birds do you have?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom