Arizona Chickens

Well the circulated air fan kit certainly wouldnt hurt! I had heard "less than encouraging" reviews from several different sources, regarding the LG still air bators, which is why I went with a new & improved hovabator genesis. I get consistently high hatch rates with it. I think you should get a fan.
Yeah I am going to have to buy a hovabator I hear that on Amazon.com they are like $60 and I also heard from a lady that lives on the southside of phoenix that you get a pretty good hatch rate with it so I am going to try it

Lesson learned, I'll never take a nap on your porch :oops:

Ha ha! Hey that beekeeping thing tomorrow, is that an outside event and is it a come and go sort of thing? Not sure if we're going yet, depends on a lot of things and a decision won't be able to be made until mere minutes before it starts. I don't want to be the guy that interrupts the class and has everyone stare at me.

Did you make it, I was late!

Being a newbie this is my 2cents...
NO on the comb
Maybe on the nails.. You can see the blood vein.. However I don't think it is needed.. Only in a case that they might be way to
long or twisted.. I guess you would have to be the judge of that.. If you kept them in a cage and they could not free range then I
could see you helping them because of confinement..

On the spurs, heard different things too.. Let's see what the old timers have to say.. On farms probably not.. But if I had a roo & he
was always trying to get us then maybe.. Our silkie roo has no spurs.. So we don't have to worry about getting slashed open.
Kent is funny every time I have caught him in my arms. My neighbor said when he went to check on the flock he kept on trying to
go after him.. With me I can tell when he is like " this is my flock & don't mess with them" I give him the talking to.. I also have a cage
I put him in it if I need to work in their run for a while.. That way I don't have to keep checking my back...
City Farm & Demosthine---
NO on comb trimming...it does indeed facilitate cooling/regulate body temp a bit etc...actually never heard of anyone trimming combs.
nails? yes, before a show...otherwise only if it's causing a problem from overgrowth insofar as walking etc...I've had chickens for about 30 years.
Cindy
P.S. How are the New Hampshires doing?

Reminder, I'm brewing a Belgian Saison on Saturday morning if anyone is interested in seeing the process, meeting me and my birds and taste testing my current batch on tap.
PM me if you want my address, Eastside Tucson. I'll probably start by 9am and finish up around 2-3pm.

P.S. How are the New Hampshires doing? 

They are doing well. I don't know if we mentioned it, but the one was definitely a rooster and the other two were hens. You and my wife were right on. Neither are laying yet, though. Batman is also thriving, and laying vefy consistently. She has beautiful dark brown eggs, as promised. I am so anxious for my other Marans to start, so we can have their chocolate browns. We have fivethat should start laying in the next month or so. Woohoo!

Reminder, I'm brewing a Belgian Saison on Saturday morning if anyone is interested in seeing the process, meeting me and my birds and taste testing my current batch on tap.
PM me if you want my address, Eastside Tucson. I'll probably start by 9am and finish up around 2-3pm.

One of these days, I WILL make it over there for a meet/visit/beer tasting & maybe some brewing education! I've always been meaning to learn more about home brewing & I certainly do love microbrews!

Boston just dropped off 6 two week old chicks. 4 BCMs and 2 Ameraucanas... I hope I can get some girls.
I put them with Milagro and her two Dellie companions.

Saturday, I'm sending 3 pairs of 2 month old chickens back with him. A pair of BLRWs, A pair of Sultans and a pair of Splash Cochins.... and maybe some blacks so he can make some blues.

Incubator should start popping with chicks in about 24 hours. I've upped the humidity to 64% and it's in our bedroom and driving my wife NUTS!!!! (the humidity pump keeps it at 64. I think I'll up it to 70 and then turn it back down so she can get some sleep.

Ha ha! Hey that beekeeping thing tomorrow, is that an outside event and is it a come and go sort of thing? Not sure if we're going yet, depends on a lot of things and a decision won't be able to be made until mere minutes before it starts. I don't want to be the guy that interrupts the class and has everyone stare at me.

At the Bee meeting we had a very informative presentation,
I asked if I could share with BYC

Dan Punch
[email protected]
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/MyBeekeeper

Contact him and he can send you information and locations of ASU bee studies and such. One location is near Williams Air Force Base. I plan on taking advantage of the training/education. They are working on putting together a training educational program for people like us. I believe it can't hurt to show interest in such a program. Also information on bee studies in California.
I'm tired, so it is a little disjointed.

Last edited:
Boston just dropped off 6 two week old chicks. 4 BCMs and 2 Ameraucanas... I hope I can get some girls.
I put them with Milagro and her two Dellie companions.

Saturday, I'm sending 3 pairs of 2 month old chickens back with him. A pair of BLRWs, A pair of Sultans and a pair of Splash Cochins.... and maybe some blacks so he can make some blues.

Incubator should start popping with chicks in about 24 hours. I've upped the humidity to 64% and it's in our bedroom and driving my wife NUTS!!!! (the humidity pump keeps it at 64. I think I'll up it to 70 and then turn it back down so she can get some sleep.
Show this to your wife, the incubator is only 19-21 days, this is 365 1/4 days a year.
forced air, I have forced in and out. My sister wares one of these things bit smaller, it only forces air in. I felt like Dark Vader for the first few nights. :oops: Scary isn't it. I do hope to be able to switch some day to a different unit, this one is just as scary
:gig just as noisy (or quite) take your pick. The incubator is better.

Back
Top Bottom