Are these wild turkey eggs still viable? Is there a way to be sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkWater1929

Songster
7 Years
Jan 27, 2015
Redding, California
Hello!
My husband just went out to check the progress of our hay field. It got cut about 8-9 days ago. Then it rained (darn it!) perhaps 6 days ago. So, today, he walked out to check the progress of the hay, and found a wild turkey nest. Mom had been killed by the mower. Several eggs were ruined, but had contained nearly fully developed chicks. Four eggs were intact. He brought them to me.

I have candled them, and see that they are full. I can see the air sack, but the rest is solid dark. I do not see movement.

How can I tell whether they are still viable? I know that it is unlikely, but I want to be sure before casting them aside. I have a broody chicken that I might be able to poke them under, if there is still a chance for them.

During the rain, temps were 50-70° f. The rest of the days have been 57-68° lows, to 85-100° highs.

Thank you so much!

First, please check with your state. Possession of those eggs and hatching of wild turkey poults may be illegal. Second, consider what you can/will do with those poults when they hatch. Again, the possession of the resulting poults may be illegal.

If your state does not specify your legal rights regarding these eggs then check with your local authorities.

If you have checked with all proper authorities and have found that you can legally possess and hatch these eggs then, by all means, feel free to set them.

To see if these eggs are still good, gently swirl the egg while candling. If the contents appear liquid the egg is rotten or has died. If you see a dark mass with no veins, the embryo has died. It would help if you post pictures of the candled egg on here so we can better help you.

Regards,
Cyprus

P.S I have already tried much the same thing as you with found turkey eggs this year. Mine were fresher but did not work out. I am telling you from personal experience that if an egg appears liquidy or smells DO NOT OPEN IT

Last edited:
First, please check with the U.S Fish and Wildlife Service. Possession of those eggs and hatching of wild turkey poults may be illegal. Second, consider what you can/will do with those poults when they hatch. Again, the possession of the resulting poults may be illegal.

If the U.S Fish and Wildlife Services does not specify your legal rights regarding these eggs then check with your local authorities.

If you have checked with all proper authorities and have found that you can legally possess and hatch these eggs then, by all means, feel free to set them.

To see if these eggs are still good, gently swirl the egg while candling. If the contents appear liquid the egg is rotten or has died. If you see a dark mass with no veins, the embryo has died. It would help if you post pictures of the candled egg on here so we can better help you.

Regards,
Cyprus

P.S I have already tried much the same thing as you with found turkey eggs this year. Mine were fresher but did not work out. I am telling you from personal experience that if an egg appears liquidy or smells DO NOT OPEN IT
Wild turkeys fall under state regulation and are not under the U.S. Fish and Wildlife jurisdiction.

Hello!
My husband just went out to check the progress of our hay field. It got cut about 8-9 days ago. Then it rained (darn it!) perhaps 6 days ago. So, today, he walked out to check the progress of the hay, and found a wild turkey nest. Mom had been killed by the mower. Several eggs were ruined, but had contained nearly fully developed chicks. Four eggs were intact. He brought them to me.

I have candled them, and see that they are full. I can see the air sack, but the rest is solid dark. I do not see movement.

How can I tell whether they are still viable? I know that it is unlikely, but I want to be sure before casting them aside. I have a broody chicken that I might be able to poke them under, if there is still a chance for them.

During the rain, temps were 50-70° f. The rest of the days have been 57-68° lows, to 85-100° highs.

Thank you so much!
If the hen was killed 9 days ago, the poults in the eggs are dead.

All are correct, especially @R2elk. if you know for sure the hen was killed, the eggs are dead by now. And it’s illegal in most states (and not a good idea anyway because of domestic diseases) to possess Wild turkeys or their eggs.

You are illegal. Contact your Wildlife personnel right away.

Call me a scofflaw, but my legal status, in such a situation, just doesn't get me that excited. I accept the conclusion that the poults must be dead. However, had this not been the case, I confess that I would have ensured their survival first, and then given thought to where it might be best to take them. It is my frequently expressed and considered opinion that legislative micro-management of details of my life such as this, is nothing I ever agreed to endure. Frankly, I am astonished to be met with such a dire judgment and admonition, here, where I would have expected that primacy would be given to the welfare of any involved birds. That is not to say that I did not appreciate the very thorough, but in no way dictatorial, advice provided by Cyprus. But, "You are illegal. Contact your Wildlife personnel right away."??? Are you being sincere?

It is quite late. Likely the office is closed. Perhaps I ought simply to go to the local jail and surrender. I could also launch the eggs at a passing patrol car, i suppose. That would get me off the streets until I can be dealt with properly. I'll give it some thought.

Big words for such an illegal person. This comes with hefty fines. I do know what I am talking about. Call them if you didn't believe us. Or maybe we will for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom