Are these RIR chicks?

crazyfeathers

Songster
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Auburndale, Wi

These are from a Hatchery and RIR chicks were ordered, I just read a post about RIR chicks saying they do not have any white in them they are most likely production reds. Did the hatchery make an error or was this member I'll informed? Thanks for the feedback and FYI I will love them regardless. Sorry only picture I could find quick.

Those resemble Red Star (red sex links). Dadgum good chickens but of course you want what you ordered!! Got several Rhode Island Reds, none have white on them.

Good to know and thank you very much for the feedback. I got a few production reds (red stars) from TSC and they looked nothing like these as chicks but I suppose it depends on what they were bred with? Thanks wantaraisechicks

Well you may have taught me something because I thought production reds and red stars were different. I thought production reds were a different strain of rhode island reds while red stars were a cross of rhode Island reds and new hampshires or several other breeds.

O O I am off to the breed section because now I am confused. I think you are correct though and I am wrong, come on I thought my girls were RIR chicks, see how much I know. Lol :lol:

Doind this: They are red sex links. They have many different breeds going into their line (depending on what hatchery she gets them from) so when they hatch they can tell by the color if they are male or female. They are a common production breed and if forced to lay threw break times (giving extra protein in molting, added light threw winter) they can stop laying at 2 years old. If you do not force them to lay during regular break times then some people have reported still getting at least a few eggs a week at 5 years.

First the words above were Found this. I also found this:
Production red is a Rhode Island Red from a strain developed for commercial brown egg production, as opposed to a show-bred or backyard-flock-bred RIR.

You will get lots of eggs from these birds, but they may not be very good foragers, may be flighty in temperament, and might require more protection from the weather.

They may not have color and form that meets the RIR standard, or look a lot like most chcken-keepers' image of the RIR.

But if what you want is lots of brown eggs, this will fill the bill.

Back
Top Bottom