Are eggs still good if they freeze?

Oxland

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 3, 2011
Hello all!
This is my first visit to the forum. Although I haven't gotten any yet, I am curious about gathering possible frozen eggs. The temps here in central Iowa are in the single digits right now in the mornings. The Mrs. and I cant' usually gather eggs 'till afternoon and we are worried some may freeze. Are they still usable or are they ruined if they do?Our girls usually lay inside the coop which has deep straw but, some venture out in the run to an outside hutch and lay. We are new "chicken herders" as of March '11 starting with 12 hens (now 11). We turned an old 12'X12' shed into a coop and added a 20'X10'X6' outside run. We gather 8-11 eggs per day from our 11 girls. It's really been enjoyable! I'm not real sure of the breeds except for a mean black and white Barred Rock. The rest of the flock include 6 all white, 2 dark red and 2 light orange and white mix (most have names). Maybe someone could tell me these breeds. Next spring we plan on adding another 10'X10'X6' section to the outside run and introducing maybe another dozen hens. We would appreciate any and all info shared on frozen eggs, the breeds we have, and introducing more girls to our flock. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi oxland and welcome to BYC from cold northern Michigan
frow.gif

Frozen eggs are safe to eat if used right away, but shouldn't be stored even in the fridge to use later if they crack. Freezing will also affect the white quality, making it runny and thin.

Hello from a neighbor! I'm also in central Iowa.
ya.gif

I also am unable to gather my eggs until later in the evenings, after they have frozen. I have used these eggs up to a week afterwards with no ill effects. The eggs do take on a different consistancy than fresh eggs, but they still look a lot tastier than the garbage purchased at the store.

My girls just went through a molt, stopped laying so I had to buy eggs from the store. Yuck! The yolks from the store bought eggs were almost neon yellow colored.
sickbyc.gif
I was so happy when my ladies began laying again earlier this week! I am thinking about mixing those store bought eggs into the dog's food.

Fortunately it looks as though tomorrow weather will be nicer for us, but watch out for next Wednesday/Thursday.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Frozen Eggs-For your own use & only if the eggs are very clean....I just pop the whole egg still frozen into the freezer in a ziplock bag & thaw right before use in order to salvage the egg for cooking if I am experiencing a shortage. Or can cook it for animal feed and that way food safety would not be an issue.

Frozen Eggs-For your own use & only if the eggs are very clean....I just pop the whole egg still frozen into the freezer in a ziplock bag & thaw right before use in order to salvage the egg for cooking if I am experiencing a shortage. Or can cook it for animal feed and that way food safety would not be an issue.
do you thaw it out on the counter or soak it in water?

Back
Top Bottom