Are Chicken Tractors Safe for Meat Birds?

jso2

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Hi all,

Although I currently have layers, I'm new to the whole meat bird thing. I have 18 meat birds arriving soon and am confused about how to safely raise them. We have read a lot about using chicken tractors to raise our meat birds in (once they're ready to be outside all of the time), and it sounds great. I am only confused about one thing: if the birds live in the tractors 24/7, how do you keep them safe at night? I know there's a cage wall/ceiling and all of that, but isn't it a problem for predators to dig underneath at night?

When we built our layers' coop, we dug down 6" and started the fence there to keep out diggers. But nothing I've read anywhere mentions this being a problem for the meat birds in tractors, and it's confusing me. Is it b/c when you move the tractor each day the predator has to start a new hole each night, so that's what keeps them out? Or am I missing something?
idunno.gif
Or do people lose a lot of chickens in tractors due to predators?

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm a newbie.

I forgot to mention, we were planning on a design like Joel Salatin's tractors. He appears to keep his hundreds of meat birds in their simple tractors day and night, seemingly without a problem. This is the type I'm wondering whether or not they're safe. Thanks
big_smile.png

Before I started letting my meatbirds free range I kept them in the same type of tractor. We had no problems with predators except for me!!
hit.gif
The first time we moved it I killed about 3 of them because the tractor rolled over the top of them but other than that it was great. Now I just use electrified poultry net and let them go where they want to. If you have a problem with digging predators you can always add a fold down apron that has poultry wire on it. Oh and level ground is pretty important unless you come up with a way to fill the gaps.
smile.png

Thanks for the advice SunnysMama. Sorry to hear about your squished babies!
sad.png
I think the apron will work well. That's awesome that you can just use a fence now. I don't know if I could have them free range with just the fence b/c we have a lot of hawks here with a taste for chicken... Wish I could though.

I keep mine in a tractor right now and I have thought about possible digging predators. I know its a risk but I haven't thought of a way to prevent the risk. I've been lucky so far, nothing has come by. I just hope they make enough noise that I can run out and shoot whatever shows up in time.

if the birds live in the tractors 24/7, how do you keep them safe at night? I know there's a cage wall/ceiling and all of that, but isn't it a problem for predators to dig underneath at night?

When we built our layers' coop, we dug down 6" and started the fence there to keep out diggers. But nothing I've read anywhere mentions this being a problem for the meat birds in tractors, and it's confusing me. Is it b/c when you move the tractor each day the predator has to start a new hole each night, so that's what keeps them out?
Depending on where you are - most predators will seek an 'easy' dinner. Digging a hole is a lot of work! If there's a gap in the fencing though, now THERE's an opportunity for a predator.

I found our fields are a lot more bumpy than I ever knew! Our tractor does sit 'level' on most of the ground, but there are areas where there are gaps big enough for a chick to slip through and/or a predator to get in. We solved it by adding a plastic storage garden shed as a 'coopette' and lock them inside that for the night for the first 4-5wks. Beyond that, they're too big to fit out any gap in the yard. They're also too big to all fit inside the coopette! So they spill all over the place and sleep where they are.

A 'skirt' of fencing will also deter predators - and fill gaps in fields - but figure out how you'll move it with the skirt on. You might need a way to twist-tie or attach it up while moving the tractor. Not such a big deal at first, but towards the end, oh my, definate issue!

Besides making it predator proof, make sure they have shade. Seems like meat birds are extraordinarily sensitive to sun and stroke out quick of they can't cool off in the shade. Good luck to you!

I use Salatin-style pens also and haven't had a problem. This is my first year using it but so far so good. Salatin explains in his book that he doesn't have problems because the pens get moved so often the predators never really get comfortable with staging an attack. I also agree with Life is Good!'s comment about predator's wanting an easy dinner. There are plenty field mice and such that are a lot less work than digging under a pen. That being said, the apron would give you more piece of mind. If you go that route I would add a design hint. Once you decide which direction you will be moving the pen make the apron longer on the pulling side so you can pick it up or clip it to something(nail or cup hook) to keep it from rolling underneath. I noticed several things that have made my pen moves more efficient AFTER having to move them regularly.

I have never had a problem with my Salatim types tractors. I do however use hardwire cloth around the open end instead of the Salatin recommended chicken wire. I also use "hoop coops" made from cattle panels. These work better in the hot summer temps than the Salatin tractors, because they are a lot more airy.

Back
Top Bottom