Are all bantam Cochins...

SunAngel

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Chambersburg, Pa.
Buttheads? Anyone else have mean Cochins?

I have a pair of Lavender ones and a white pullet and all 3 are downright nasty to other chickens...size doesn't matter to them. I am hoping they outgrow it, but right now they are terrorizing my two 3 month old game hens along with the Silkies and any other chicken they didn't grow up with. The females are the worst. They go about their business and then on a whim off they go, chasing some unsuspecting chickie, just to be mean.

They are sweet to us and will even fly up in my lap to get a treat, but I feel bad for my other chickens. My Standard Cochin isn't anything like that.

Is there any way to break them of this? They are taking the pecking order thing to a major extreme and I am about to get rid of them!

Ok so maybe its just mine lol.

They are sweethearts to me and everyone else, just not other chickens their size or a little smaller. Heck they even pick on bigger chickens. Guess they just have attitudes. My black japanese bantam is the same way.

Quote:
Nope Nope you cannot hold that statement for your own. I had a roo (hawk got him) that would walk up to the big girls and literally jump up, with both feed drop kick her in the crop
sickbyc.gif

Now, every time the one remaining girl (BC) comes out of the coop, they charger her and act all mean. BUT...I have 2 new bantam cochins and my origional BC Penny beats the crap out of the roo and a chick :thun She isn't that much older!!!

I guess they have size inferiority issues?
gig.gif

They seem to have followers as well. I have Silkies that won't bother other chickens until the BCs go after one, then they follow right along. BCs are instigators I tell ya!

Your not alone, altho i have a few sweeties, i also have had a few bullies. Sweet as can be to me but hates any new chickens. I had 1 white cochin hen that i had to rehome along with a japanese hen who would tag team other chickens for no reason, even ones they grew up with from day 1. If ya cant follow the chicken rules on to the next household ya go! The ones i have now are sweet to each other and new ones that come and go. There is the occasional scuffle over treats but no vicious fighting. My roo a white cochin bantam hates short people (i am 5'6) and has come after me several times all in which resulted in him walking away whining after id grab him and hold him tight for several minutes. DIdn't stop him from sneaking up on me yesturday and kicking me in the butt while i was bent down taking pics of the other chickens. BTW i REALLY have to trim those spurs!!!

I have crossed cochins/silkies & they are sweet as pie!

But I have a rooster that can be down right nasty when he wants to be & when that happens, I catch him at roost time & lock him up for about 2 weeks. When he comes out, he is nice again....So maybe try locking 'em up for a while. See what that brings.
big_smile.png

The roo needs to go though.

Back
Top Bottom