Applying beneficial nemetodes to lawn and garden areas for organic pest control

liljerry

Hatching
Jun 23, 2015
Beneficial nematodes are used to enter the body and kill lawn and garden pest. These tiny parasitic worms are supposedly not harmful to animals. Once the grub or desired pest is infiltrated by these worms, it dies and I believe more nematodes will populate. Sounds like a great thing. Organic feed organic lawn for my hens to peck at. What about the nematode infested grubs/insects?
Can my hens eat these or is this a normally occurring microorganism that they already eat when they forage for insects?
caf.gif

Trying to have a nice lawn and I want to add nematodes but want to make sure its ok???

There is a product called "milky spore powder" that is also worth taking a look at for grub control if you worry about nematodes which may be a cause for concern if you grow a garden.

I used the nematodes when we lived in VT ... No more skunks digging up our lawn!

I don't believe that if a chicken ate a dead bug/grub that it would hurt them!

So it worked on the lawn? I thought it would be safe considering they are parasites to very specific pests and the company said it is not harmful to vertebrates. I needed some reassurance.
Thanks!

Yes, I got a tiny bag ... Mixed it up in water the whole time thinking "I can't see them, wonder if this "snake oil" will work, or if there really are these millions of little munchers in here"

Sprayed them on my lawn, and waited ... Next year ... Nice lawn, no excavating stinking skunks tearing up my lawn, leaving piles of dirt and other "stuff"!

Never saw the grubs surface either, they stayed below ground ...

If I remember right ... We moved to AZ eight years ago, and this could have been a few years before that ... As we bought that house in '99 ... I think I got them from "Gardens Alive" ... Ahh, yes here http://www.gardensalive.com/product/grub-away-nematodes-1

Last edited:
Beneficial nematodes are used to enter the body and kill lawn and garden pest. These tiny parasitic worms are supposedly not harmful to animals. Once the grub or desired pest is infiltrated by these worms, it dies and I believe more nematodes will populate. Sounds like a great thing. Organic feed organic lawn for my hens to peck at. What about the nematode infested grubs/insects?
Can my hens eat these or is this a normally occurring microorganism that they already eat when they forage for insects?
caf.gif

Trying to have a nice lawn and I want to add nematodes but want to make sure its ok???
Nematodes are harmless to adults, children, pets, earthworms, etc. They are a wonderful way to achieve pest control. We use them in our yard about every May (temps have to be warm enough, and there has to be some rain to 'water' them into the soil).

Moles/gophers/lawn grubs/fleas/yellow jacket nests gone. (moles and gophers gone because no grubs to eat down deep in the soil).
Still plenty of above ground bugs/earthworms for chickens.

You do want to get Nematodes that are specific to the pests you are trying to get rid of.

Nematodes are harmless to adults, children, pets, earthworms, etc. They are a wonderful way to achieve pest control. We use them in our yard about every May (temps have to be warm enough, and there has to be some rain to 'water' them into the soil).

Moles/gophers/lawn grubs/fleas/yellow jacket nests gone. (moles and gophers gone because no grubs to eat down deep in the soil).
Still plenty of above ground bugs/earthworms for chickens.

You do want to get Nematodes that are specific to the pests you are trying to get rid of.
Would they do anything to read the soil of roundworm nematodes/ova?

Back
Top Bottom