Anyone have an idea on how to deal with a mean rooster without killing/hurting it?

Without killing it yourself? Or without killing it in general.
I would personally just let my dad butcher it, and then I'd make a stew out of him. (Or in your case you could just give him to another farm, or individual to butcher and eat.)
Rehoming mean roosters isn't a great idea, so all I'm coming up with is the stockpot.
Hopefully, others will have some better ideas 😂

Without killing it yourself? Or without killing it in general.
I would personally just let my dad butcher it, and then I'd make a stew out of him. (Or in your case you could just give him to another farm, or individual to butcher and eat.)
Rehoming mean roosters isn't a great idea, so all I'm coming up with is the stockpot.
Hopefully, others will have some better ideas 😂
ouch 😂

Some people say mean roosters can be rehabilitated by carrying them around when he tries to attack until he calms down. Or pinning him to the ground for a couple of minutes to "show him who's boss". It doesn't seem like these tactics necessarily have long-term effects... Or it works for the handler but no other people that may venture into the chicken pen... The rooster will still attack them. Not sure it's worth it, honestly.

One needs to be really aware of who is in danger of being flogged and attacked. If children are involved, I just do not think this is a good experiment. If it is you, and for some reason you are comfortable for being attacked for feeding and watering your birds, there are some things that some people swear by. Sometimes they work, often times they don't.

Most experienced people like good roosters, and do not keep bad ones. Mean roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people.

If you try it, know that you need to always beware of him. They can turn on a dime. People that have never experienced a full on attack often underestimate how violent it can get.

A lot depends on your set up, the more space the better, the more farm like the better. In a traditional back yard set up, the odds are against you.

Mrs K

One needs to be really aware of who is in danger of being flogged and attacked. If children are involved, I just do not think this is a good experiment. If it is you, and for some reason you are comfortable for being attacked for feeding and watering your birds, there are some things that some people swear by. Sometimes they work, often times they don't.

Most experienced people like good roosters, and do not keep bad ones. Mean roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people.

If you try it, know that you need to always beware of him. They can turn on a dime. People that have never experienced a full on attack often underestimate how violent it can get.

A lot depends on your set up, the more space the better, the more farm like the better. In a traditional back yard set up, the odds are against you.

Mrs K
:goodpost:

I have a few questions. How is he mean? Who is he mean to? How old is he?

Your rooster sees the girls as his and not yours. If you hand feed them you’re doing his job because he calls them when he finds goodies and by doing that yourself you’re competition. It’s better to drop tidbits at his feet and let him call them. Picking them up is likely seen as aggression and you’re bothering his girl. If he attacks then he’s doing his job to protect them from you and you’re desire to mate with them and prevent him from spreading his genes. Those are two top issues I’ve seen mentioned around the site here.

Another thing is that you’re going to hear a lot of throw him in the cook pot or hold him and hug him type of stuff, or carry a stick and hit him. People will have different results with different roosters. Just like other animals, they all have their own personalities and there’s no one way of doing it. In the end some roosters are just too dangerous to keep around. It may be because of kids or you might not get along with him, whatever. It may be that he’s going to be fine most of the time but once in a while get a wild hair and go a little crazy. It’s really trial and error.

I have tried the stick, just whacking the roo on the bottom if he came at me, didn’t work. I’m not the cuddle my birds type of person, so I learned to identify the roosters early. Once I learned to do that I watched to see how they acted the whole time they were growing up. Once I had my guy picked out I’d drop treats at his feet and let him call all the rest of the birds to him with his happy sounds. Establishing the idea that you’re not his enemy at an early age can really help. I don’t know if it’s too far beyond that for your case, but maybe it’ll help the next time around.

Back
Top Bottom