Anyone dealt with alligators as a predator?

drgnflyz

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 17, 2011
Idaho
I am moving to SW Florida soon and alligators are a potential threat where we will be living. I am wondering how important smell is to a gator? A well placed tarp can keep a gator from seeing the girls, but does smell factor in? We may be living on a canal with a pond and small back yard. i have two little boys and cannot be attracting gators with chickens.

Any advice for constructing a secure AND pretty hen fortress would be much appreciated. Thus far the only predator I have had to think about is birds of prey. Soon I will also be worried about bobcats, gators, snakes, skunks, possums, monitor lizards and coons- oh, my!

I have not heard any one loosing any chickens to any gators, you'll be just fine.
big_smile.png

Two little boys playing outside would attract gators as well as any chicken would. Gee, I would build a strong fence on your property, so your boys(and chickens) could not wander near the water without you taking them and supervising them there. Actually thinking about gators - I wouldn't even leave the house.

I'm a Florida native, almost 48 years old. I have 6 acres next to a huge swampy area with lots of gators and they are the least of my predator worries. I have lost chickens to everything else on your list. Coons are the worst. Make sure your have a secure coop to lock them in at night and they will be fine. I have open air coops, so no roost's close to the outside of the chainlink. Predators will pull a chicken through the wire if to close. Anyway, gators are not a problem for chickens. Oh, and welcome to Florida.

Quote:
I respectfully disagree with you here. I think, with the poster's close proximity to water, that he or she should be very concerned about alligators. They have a very good sense of smell, and would definitely be attracted to your chickens. As far as fencing to protect your children and chickens, I'm not sure what would be the best there. I recommend you don't leave pets outside after dark, especially dogs. They are #1 on the alligator diet. I'll talk to the zoo here and see what fencing they'd recommend for you.

An interesting fact about alligators: the distance between an alligator's eyes and his nose in inches is his length in feet!

Stilts !! Many of the older homes around the swampy areas are on stilts for a reason. so it should work for coop. Give them an entry ramp that can be pulled up at night. Also a few strategic high places to fly too encase unwanted company comes!

Quote:
I remember growing up we lived on a lake that had several alligators they would sun themselves on our bank all the time. At some point my mom and her hubby put up a chain link fence and it worked like a charm they never had another gator on the property after that. The neighbors had a small sea wall it didn't reduce gator visits and the other neighbors had a pool that they would find gators in at least once a month. So my suggestion is if you are purchasing this house to consider putting up a good fence along the canal, however keep in mind if that pond is on your property you will want to fence that around as well. In Florida almost ALL bodies of water can have a gator in it.

Our local zoo uses chain link fence to contain their gators. If you fence between the canal and your yard, you should be fine. Gators are bad news to any small animal (and that includes children).

For the most part.. alligators and crocodiles are both ambush style predators. Your chickens (or children/small pets) would only really be in danger if they were foraging or playing next to the water edge. Their method of walking/running is not very efficient, so they are not very inclined towards running your chooks or children down. They also aren't going to want to work at trying to rip open a coop to get the chickens inside.. that's just way too much work. There are plenty of much easier pickings for them. Yes, you will have the occasional nuisance animal that wanders into the backyard, pool and very rarely your kitchen.. but for the most part, they prefer to stay, un-harrassed, in their claimed territory.

You guys are all awesome for your input and advice!
clap.gif
I have also been conversing w/ folks on the Fla. thread, and after thinking everything over I am going to alleviate a lot of stress by rehoming my girls, when the time comes, here in Idaho.
hit.gif
They will be happy and carefree living in a manner similar to their current situation.
smile.png

I am going to live the island life and get to know my surroundings-including the potential threat of hurricanes and island evacuations,
hide.gif
BEFORE I throw any animals into the mix. I think this is the most responsible thing to do.

I cry everytime I even think about not having my girls to garden with- who would ever think a silly chicken could be so beloved?
hu.gif
Oh yeah...ALL of US here on BYC!!!
yippiechickie.gif
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom