Any Tips For Jungle Fowl?

Hanathehappyhen

Songster
6 Years
Jan 2, 2018
Nicasio CA
Hi! I've been doing some research on getting some Jungle Fowl as pets. I wouldn't say I have lots of information on keeping Jungle Fowl and I'm not sure where to start. I know the different breeds Grey, Red,Green, and Sri Lanka, but that's about as much information I could get from Google. So it would be super helpful if I could get information on their care. I've seen a lot of online breeders who'll ship them to you, but I'd like to be able to check how healthy they are, and meet them before buying them. I'm also pretty confused on how much they cost. One site will $12 for a chick and another one $135. So if any of you guys could give me some information about how much Jungle Fowl cost, and just some information like what kind of climate is good for them, and any specific foods they need. Thank you!

Hi! I've been doing some research on getting some Jungle Fowl as pets. I wouldn't say I have lots of information on keeping Jungle Fowl and I'm not sure where to start. I know the different breeds Grey, Red,Green, and Sri Lanka, but that's about as much information I could get from Google. So it would be super helpful if I could get information on their care. I've seen a lot of online breeders who'll ship them to you, but I'd like to be able to check how healthy they are, and meet them before buying them. I'm also pretty confused on how much they cost. One site will $12 for a chick and another one $135. So if any of you guys could give me some information about how much Jungle Fowl cost, and just some information like what kind of climate is good for them, and any specific foods they need. Thank you!
Cost: For the 4 species you listed (red, grey, green, Sri Lanka), their prices range from $100-$500 for adult birds depending on the species. Because these birds are sensitive, no one sells chicks of these species. For those that do sell chicks (like the reds), you are likely not getting the real thing, but a chicken that looks like a junglefowl.

A tropical species: While the reds and greys may handle some form of coldness, the green and sri lanka will need additional heating.

Temperament: If you are looking for calm birds, more often than not, these birds will not be calm.

Disease resistance: All 4 species are very vulnerable to poultry diseases. They are not hardy like chickens.

Conclusion: You may try raising them, but do so at an expert level. This is not meant to discourage you, but to give you an idea of the high level of maintenance required for these birds to survive and feel comfortable otherwise it'll be a headache and loss of $$.

Last edited:
Cost: For the 4 species you listed (red, grey, green, Sri Lanka), their prices range from $100-$500 for adult birds depending on the species. Because these birds are sensitive, no one sells chicks of these species. For those that do sell chicks (like the reds), you are likely not getting the real thing, but a chicken that looks like a junglefowl.

A tropical species: While the reds and greys may handle some form of coldness, the green and sri lanka will need additional heating.

Temperament: If you are looking for calm birds, more often than not, these birds will not be calm.

Disease resistance: All 4 species are very vulnerable to poultry diseases. They are not hardy like chickens.

Conclusion: You may try raising them, but do so at an expert level. This is not meant to discourage you, but to give you an idea of the high level of maintenance required for these birds to survive and feel comfortable otherwise it'll be a headache and loss of $$.
thank you! It's nice to understand the prices and needs for them. I'm glad for the advice on the baby chicks because I was thinking about buying some. So I'll definitely do a lot more research before getting some.

Back
Top Bottom