Any Home Bakers Here?

IMG_3046.jpeg

I think this chick is one of the extra five. I can’t tell what breed it is. Sure is cute with a pretty color, though.

View attachment 3826581

I made my plan for the walls of the coop. Now I need to plan out the floor, roof, and run.
Make the coop a lot bigger than you think it needs to be and tall enough to easily walk into.

All the numbers you see recommended are for minimum requirements, not the ideal amount of room.

Actually, let me explain my coop plan.

The coop is going to be on 4X4 posts. About 2 feet off the ground. That way the chickens have a shaded area they can go under if they need to.

The coop is gonna be 8‘ x 8‘. That’s 64 square feet. Because some of the chicks I picked up may be roosters, because they added extras, I may end up butchering some, and that number will go down, allowing more room for the hens.

Also, one of the walls is actually going to be openable so I can go into the coop, and pull out and clean out as necessary. It will also allow me to access the nesting box.

I honestly don’t know if this plan is best, so any input is appreciated.

Actually, let me explain my coop plan.

The coop is going to be on 4X4 posts. About 2 feet off the ground. That way the chickens have a shaded area they can go under if they need to.

The coop is gonna be 8‘ x 8‘. That’s 64 square feet. Because some of the chicks I picked up may be roosters, because they added extras, I may end up butchering some, and that number will go down, allowing more room for the hens.

Also, one of the walls is actually going to be openable so I can go into the coop, and pull out and clean out as necessary. It will also allow me to access the nesting box.

I honestly don’t know if this plan is best, so any input is appreciated.
The 64 sq. ft. doesn't show how much square footage will need to be deducted for area taken up by feeders, waterers, etc.

For such a small coop, you can build the nest boxes on the outside of the wall with an openable lid or front to collect eggs without entering the coop.

I build my coops directly on the ground. The coop itself provides all the shade the hens need. It eliminates the need to build a floor in the coop and helps keep the coop warmer in the winter since no cold air can get under the coop. It also eliminates the need to remove "pests" or to gather eggs from under the coop.

My coops have standard 8' walls and are normally built to take a standard 3'0" door. It allows access to the coop with a wheelbarrow and is much easier to open that a whole side wall.

Chicken math says don't build a coop small enough to only hold your planned number of chickens.

The 64 sq. ft. doesn't show how much square footage will need to be deducted for area taken up by feeders, waterers, etc.

For such a small coop, you can build the nest boxes on the outside of the wall with an openable lid or front to collect eggs without entering the coop.

I build my coops directly on the ground. The coop itself provides all the shade the hens need. It eliminates the need to build a floor in the coop and helps keep the coop warmer in the winter since no cold air can get under the coop. It also eliminates the need to remove "pests" or to gather eggs from under the coop.

My coops have standard 8' walls and are normally built to take a standard 3'0" door. It allows access to the coop with a wheelbarrow and is much easier to open that a whole side wall.

Chicken math says don't build a coop small enough to only hold your planned number of chickens.

In that case, I made a mistake with my previous wall plan. I need to replan the coop. Thank you for pointing all this out.

Back
Top Bottom