Ants got to my mealworms, most are still alive but what to do?

la dee da

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 18, 2008
Missouri
So mom and I decided to raise mealworms for our chickens and two days ago I ordered some...or tried to. The first website I tried to order from would not take my order so I tried ordering from Petco. Petco sent mom an e-mail today saying that the order never came through, however, when we came back from a funeral there was a box of mealworms waiting on our porch. Ants were running all over inside the box killing and eating the poor worms. Even if one of the orders actually worked the worms weren't supposed to arrive for 4-6 days! I put the worms in the bin with oatmeal and a two half potatoes but I don't know if the ants will finish off my poor worms. Any suggestions?

UPDATE:
Well the good news is the slip behind the lable told me it was Petco who sent the worms. It turns out that mom mistook the confirmation e-mail for a "something went wrong" e-mail, and I had misread the shipping time. Most of the ants were hiding in the oatmeal and I didn't see them. Mom called Petco and asked if they had suggestions on killing the ants, and Petco offered to send us a free replacement which should be arriving today. I'm very happy with them and wanted to make sure no one would hesitate to buy worms from Petco based on my first experience.

Last edited:
The ants have been coming out of the box and I've been squishing them as they did so. Don't need advice anymore.

Back
Top Bottom