EnneElle87

Hatching
Jan 9, 2019
Hello, one of my roosters attacked me and the spur wound on my shin may be infected. (If you really like details, it was a Vorwerk)

Anyhow, it happened on my lower shin two days ago (Monday, January 7th), and was quite painful. The area is swollen and red about 1 inch in diameter around the puncture wound.

There is no pus, or no red lines near it, today it feels like a bad bruise. I am heading to urgent care to get it checked out. My main question is, has anyone else experienced this? I had a lot of trouble trying to find a helpful thread on this issue.

Any advice is welcome! I will check back in with pictures and an update when I come back from the doctor, in case anyone else is hurting and questioning whether or not they should go to the doctor (because it's a real Pain In The Ass these days!!).

Attachments

• 20190108_222002.jpg
    20190108_222002.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 401
For some reason rooster spur wounds take a while to heal. If it was through your pants you are likely ok infection-wise. My rooster got a bit big for his britches a few weeks ago and got me by the knee, there was some pretty nasty bruising and it was swollen. Luckily I was wearing two pairs of pants. I was very surprised because he never spurs me, but I was wearing sweat pants which were flapping around in the wind and I guess that triggered him.

I’ve been spurred before. Not by my own roos who are little angels but I was helping my mom with a roo (shes a livestock vet) and it spurred me.
My mom has been spurred many times and she says as long as you take care of it then you’ll be fine.
Wash it out, hydrogen peroxide, neosporin and a long bandaid is all she uses. It will feel like a bruise and sting for a couple of days but it’ll heal up

I’ve been spurred before. Not by my own roos who are little angels but I was helping my mom with a roo (shes a livestock vet) and it spurred me.
My mom has been spurred many times and she says as long as you take care of it then you’ll be fine.
Wash it out, hydrogen peroxide, neosporin and a long bandaid is all she uses. It will feel like a bruise and sting for a couple of days but it’ll heal up
(off topic, but I think that it is so cool that your mom is a livestock vet!! Thats exactly what I hope to be!)

Cellulitis may be an issue. I would go to a doc-in-a-box and get an antibiotic. Red, inflammation, and pain in the surrounding area all indicate infection. Chickens aren't known for cleanliness. :) Try to wear longer/thicker pants when you know you'll be dealing with the roo. My Poppy had cellulitis because of this. Also, look into the "hot potato" method for removing spurs!

Infection is a definite possibility depending upon what bacteria were on the rooster's spur. Going to the doctor is a good idea. As @centrarchid suggested: cuss a bit and then turn that rooster into chicken stew.

Back
Top Bottom