American serama thread!

Found this thread while hunting for color ID on two chicks I picked up last night as the first of many in my Serama flock sooo I figured I'd just squeak on in! I currently live in Wellington, FL and am hoping to find other FL based breeders in hopes of expanding my flock and genetics. So far these guys are just adorable and their mother was absolutely sweet and gorgeous. Pretty sure the little "blue" baby is a cockerel and the black-white baby is a pullet. Posting picks of them plus mom and her other babies.

Found this thread while hunting for color ID on two chicks I picked up last night as the first of many in my Serama flock sooo I figured I'd just squeak on in! I currently live in Wellington, FL and am hoping to find other FL based breeders in hopes of expanding my flock and genetics. So far these guys are just adorable and their mother was absolutely sweet and gorgeous. Pretty sure the little "blue" baby is a cockerel and the black-white baby is a pullet. Posting picks of them plus mom and her other babies.

Hello. I am in Melbourne, FL. Not sure where that is relevant to you. I currently have 5 grown seramas, 7 juveniles and 10 babies that I'm growing out. I also have a couple dozen eggs in the incubator and some others that were supposed to arrive yesterday but aren't coming until today :/. The hen above is beautiful and the little ones are adorable. Serama chicks aren't sexable at this age though. Are they older now?

Hello. I am in Melbourne, FL. Not sure where that is relevant to you. I currently have 5 grown seramas, 7 juveniles and 10 babies that I'm growing out. I also have a couple dozen eggs in the incubator and some others that were supposed to arrive yesterday but aren't coming until today :/. The hen above is beautiful and the little ones are adorable. Serama chicks aren't sexable at this age though. Are they older now?
You're about 2 hours due north of me. I'm maybe 30 minutes west of West Palm Beach, so not terribly far!

No, those photo were taken yesterday, I'm just eyeballing the combs and trying to wish them to grow up faster so I can see what I've got! LOL wishful thinking and all that. That hen in person is just absolutely incredible. I wish I could have taken HER home, but I have her blue baby so here's hoping they turn out something like her. I can only imagine what the other little one will wind up looking like! I'll have to take better pics in the light when I get a chance. Looking at all the colors they come in, it almost seems like there's a new color morph found every day! It's pretty amazing and I think I want them all LOL!

You're about 2 hours due north of me. I'm maybe 30 minutes west of West Palm Beach, so not terribly far!

No, those photo were taken yesterday, I'm just eyeballing the combs and trying to wish them to grow up faster so I can see what I've got! LOL wishful thinking and all that. That hen in person is just absolutely incredible. I wish I could have taken HER home, but I have her blue baby so here's hoping they turn out something like her. I can only imagine what the other little one will wind up looking like! I'll have to take better pics in the light when I get a chance. Looking at all the colors they come in, it almost seems like there's a new color morph found every day! It's pretty amazing and I think I want them all LOL!
Yes, not far at all.... for the moment anyway lol. Hoping to move to the carolinas this year.

I would love to have a blue little one if mom every has anymore. All the different colors is what I love about the serama. You never know what color the little ones are going to end up being. They also change color while growing up, sometimes several times before reaching 2 months old. They're such a joy to have and the kids just absolutely adore them.

I'll keep an eye peeled for the hen's next clutch or if mine winds up producing blue! The Carolinas are GORGEOUS!!!!! Totally jealous. I'm longing for the day we can move to a place with seasons not named tornado, monsoon, and hurricane ;)

Hi everyone! I'm never here because life is so busy, but I want to share an experience we just had ;)

Ok, so we decided to hatch some more egg layers from Trader Joe's (hubby makes me do it, promises to rehome the boys, LOL) Anyway, I had broody seramas (little buggers were broody 80% of the year, LOL) so I stuck an egg under the two current broodies at the time, and they hatched 'em fine, and were great mothers until 4 weeks in.

At 4 weeks, they started picking on the little ones, including the mothers who had previously been so protective of them! Having most of their feathers plucked and the boy getting a bloody butt, I had to separate them. Funny how the mothers squawked for their babies, yet picked on them so mercilessly. I know it's just instincts, but it's funny how they care when you take them to save their lives, LOL.

So my conclusion is that pecking is initiated via size not age. Compared to the seramas, the chicks were very big. So I don't think I'd ever do that again. I couldn't find a post where someone updated on how it went, so I wanted to log my experience here :D

Otherwise, my little frizzled girl, who's feathers got so ratty in the fall is so pretty again, I just adore her! LOL Need to take pictures as the roost is a little low, and her tail feathers are a bit rubbed already again :(

This is nuts. Muffet is fully broody and I'm trying to fill egg orders which means I don't have any of my own eggs to put under her. Does anyone know where I could get some inexpensive Serama eggs quick? How many can you get under a Serama hen, anyhow?

Oh no, that stinks. I would say, depending on size, 5-7 eggs. Maybe Jess has some

Last edited:
I jut mailed some to Jess today LOL, that would be kinda funny.
big_smile.png

I'll keep an eye peeled for the hen's next clutch or if mine winds up producing blue! The Carolinas are GORGEOUS!!!!! Totally jealous. I'm longing for the day we can move to a place with seasons not named tornado, monsoon, and hurricane ;)

Thanks. That would be great.

I just need a change of scenery in my life right now. A big one! I think that 36 years here is long enough. My entire family is here for the most part so they've made it hard to leave but it's time. And I'm not moving that far away so I'm sure that I'll be here to visit quite often. I'm hoping for a little cooler weather without freezing myself to the bone. Also looking for a little larger property.

Back
Top Bottom