American serama thread!

Coco was almost taken away from a hawk on Thursday! :eek:
I was cleaning their cage when I heard one of the Seramas shrieking. I hurried outside to see a Cooper's hawk flying away with Coco in his talons!! I chased after the hawk and thankfully, the hawk lost grip of her and flew away into the trees after seeing (and hearing me yelling) me running right towards him.
I scooped little Coco up (she only weighs 10 ounces!) and inspected her for injuries. Luckily I didn't see any and went to find Nilly who had run to hide under a bag of pine needles.
Coco is eating and drinking and seems to be fine. Is there anything I should be worried about?

Last edited:
i would watch for shock even if you don't see injuries, i'd put her on eletrolytes- possibly a general antibiotic, since the hawk did hold her, i'd think bacteria from the talons might be an issue- i am terrified of letting mine outside since they would be so easy to be scooped up

Coco was almost taken away from a hawk on Thursday! :eek:
I was cleaning their cage when I heard one of the Seramas shrieking. I hurried outside to see a Cooper's hawk flying away with Coco in his talons!! I chased after the hawk and thankfully, the hawk lost grip of her and flew away into the trees after seeing (and hearing me yelling) me running right towards him.
I scooped little Coco up (she only weighs 10 ounces!) and inspected her for injuries. Luckily I didn't see any and went to find Nilly who had run to hide under a bag of pine needles.
Coco is eating and drinking and seems to be fine. Is there anything I should be worried about?

OH MY GOODNESS you were so lucky! Did those talons break skin at all? IF there is NO broken skin, then infection won't be a problem. IF they did break skin, then watch the spots for 24-48 hours for any sign of redness /swelling discharge. Right now you can put some neosporin on that broken skin.
TIme for little COCO to be in the house snuggled under a blanket with you :love SO glad there is a good ending to this story...

i would watch for shock even if you don't see injuries, i'd put her on eletrolytes- possibly a general antibiotic, since the hawk did hold her, i'd think bacteria from the talons might be an issue- i am terrified of letting mine outside since they would be so easy to be scooped up
OH MY GOODNESS you were so lucky! Did those talons break skin at all? IF there is NO broken skin, then infection won't be a problem. IF they did break skin, then watch the spots for 24-48 hours for any sign of redness /swelling discharge. Right now you can put some neosporin on that broken skin.
TIme for little COCO to be in the house snuggled under a blanket with you :love SO glad there is a good ending to this story...

Thank you two for your help. :)
Coco seems to be doing great, I don't see any wounds, though I will put electrolytes in her water just in case. She's perched on my arm right now preening. :love

Here she is with her broody sister, Nilly:

I agree, so darn cute!

Hey guys, I need your opinion. I have what is becoming an elderly coop, LOL. I usually get some eggs in the winter, but my girls have not been laying, so I decided to add a few birds. My husband is making me hatch 'em though I don't like to do it, 'cause then I have to deal with finding homes for the boys, but anyway, we got leghorn eggs from Trader Joes again, and I slipped two of them under my always broody seramas. But now I'm worried that if they hatch, my serama mommy won't be able to keep them warm long enough into the winter. We live in southern California, and the coldest it ever gets at night is 25 degrees (F) (not even usually in low 30s). Do you think a serama could care for two chicks until they can handle the cold? Or will the chicks get too big for them too fast?

Thanks for your opinions!

Last edited:
I agree, so darn cute!

Hey guys, I need your opinion.  I have what is becoming an elderly coop, LOL.  I usually get some eggs in the winter, but my girls have not been laying, so I decided to add a few birds.  My husband is making me hatch 'em though I don't like to do it, 'cause then I have to deal with finding homes for the boys, but anyway, we got leghorn eggs from Trader Joes again, and I slipped two of them under my always broody seramas.  But now I'm worried that if they hatch, my serama mommy won't be able to keep them warm long enough into the winter.  We live in southern California, and the coldest it ever gets at night is 25 degrees (F) (not even usually in low 30s).  Do you think a serama could care for two chicks until they can handle the cold?  Or will the chicks get too big for them too fast?

Thanks for your opinions!

Ya know what they say that a picture is worth a 1,000 words......Here is my Serama broody MAMA DELUX Miss Jenny with the 2 Game fowls she hatched and kept for 2 months...with no problems. AND those girls are 6 months old now and still afraid/respectful of the seramas when they free range together. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom