American Reza (Pakistani) Asil

This came from my book Oriental Gamefowl. Not everything is 100% true but i refer to it from time to time.
As far as my Harris Reynolds Pakistan asil, there is no Hyderabad blood or North Indian. This strain is as pure as it gets although Atkinson was added at least once according to Manuel Reynolds

Attachments

• 20240104_090722.jpg
    20240104_090722.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240104_090408.jpg
    20240104_090408.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 25
One thing I find abit confusing here, is that all my research into Indian Aseel breeds, is that Reza are an Indian variety. American bred may lack certain characteristics that make them differ from their Indian Counterparts.
They do seem pretty popular in Pakistan, though.

Kinda like Malay, there's two different varieties, ones bred here in America(Lacks most original characteristics, look alike), Indian Malay variety have Shrimp Tails, & vary in appearance(Comb type, Feather type, leg length/color, are a few examples.) Some may lack Shrimp Tail, but most have it.
There is a lot of division among breeders, sometimes folks are down right hostile. History from books and articles is a good place to start but they are hard to come by, and also at times contradictory. Combine this with folks who think they know exactly what was happening 50, 75, or 100 years ago, and let the camps reveal themselves.

I am fairly certain that if an Indian, or Pakistani Asil breeder were to check out what some western Asil breeders were discussing, they’d have a good few laughs and shed some insight. One thing I’ve seen from online, is the amount of variation they have among their fowl. White legs are common, and I’ve seen green legs. Whereas if you had them here, it would be very rare. Some fowl are so fleshy and ugly I would not want them on my yard, but this is how it goes. Regionally, there will be types, almost characteristic for that locale, and based on selection with one very difficult test as a tool, combat. There are many styles, tests, and rules all over the world, and it’s why there exists so much variation even across/among/within the Asil strains.

If you didn't know india and Pakistan used to be one country
Yes Sir, I am aware that country borders, and international boundaries can at times be recent and or arbitrary. I’m also aware that historically for some, “the sun never sets on British soil”, and their empire and situation in the sub-continent. I’ve been to the Middle East three times, lived in N. Africa, stayed in the Horn, lived in Manchuria for 6 months, been to SE Asia three times, and have two Western Pacific deployments under my belt. To say I love history, and enjoy a good map study would be accurate.

What does remain, and in terms of the Asil, are the province/city/state names like Baluchistan, Hyderabad, Punjab, and cities like Lucknow and Rampur. One can quickly deduce from what country imported fowl came from. While paying respect to breeders, history and region is important in my opinion, these fowl were undeniably cross bred and blended as soon as they reached the Atlantic Seaboard, and I do not know of any Asil family or strain here (East Coast, US) that has not been created otherwise.

Maybe the real McCoy does exist, pun intended, but then again that was 1910. If so, and of actual quality, what an achievement indeed. The only thing I know for certain is that the oldest blood we have are most impressive, and worth admiration and perpetuation.

Anyone else breeding and raising Pakistani Asil?

My hens last year, started to lay while my American game hens took a break. I wasn’t checking nest boxes because I wasn’t thinking of them laying. Anyhow they went broody and I left them be, and hatched chicks between Christmas into the first week of January.

This clutch survived Maine’s polar vortex with -20 temperatures for about 2-3 days with a -40 wind chill. They were with the two hens, separate clutches, and inside my pens within my cock house. Feed bags over the rabbit wire pen doors.

Matured into beautiful pullets and a nice 11 month old stag. Anyhow my hens are in a winter pen for safe keeping (they free range after hatching and into winter) and they are laying again. I also have a ‘Hanson Red’ x Rampuri type hen with the ‘Christmas stag’ and she is laying now as well.

Does anyone else notice asils wanting to lay and (obviously if eggs aren’t collected) go broody in December and January?

I can collect eggs but, with so few eggs laid during a year, I may allow them to go broody again. Just curious if anyone else notices this cycle among their Asil. I’m not use to my game hens laying eggs this time of year.
Yes my family has raised them all the way back to our ancestors, over 1300 years. They are highly inbred, we have the Desi and Lasani and the Andhra Pradesh ( Kulang/ Amroha type), or Indian. Where i am they start laying in late January due to the above zero temperatures. But not in December.

White legs is the standard over there while our SOP calls for yellow legs. Many families of American asil carry blood other than asil. Of that you can be sure of. Breed them a few generations and you will see it.
White is the standard in some districts but there have always been yellow legs or the lizard type.

The guy in Maine acted super paranoid. Had me meet his wife at a store with the birds and called her half a dozen times while we exchanged them. I think I know what he was up to.

A second breeder never got back to me.

I just can't see the expenditure when so many birds I see posted for sale or hatching eggs from, or the results of a hatch, are something I don't want. I can either start with the problems I have, or I can pay a lot of money to start with a different set of problems. Tons of birds I see have that really short breastbone, like this guy....
View attachment 3715910Either way there's lots of chicken to eat.
True asil have a serious chest like chest armour, this birds breeder lacks proper breeding practice.

This came from my book Oriental Gamefowl. Not everything is 100% true but i refer to it from time to time.
As far as my Harris Reynolds Pakistan asil, there is no Hyderabad blood or North Indian. This strain is as pure as it gets although Atkinson was added at least once according to Manuel Reynolds
This is what people do ot understand, India was under Muslim Rule back in the day. No one even remembers when that changed. Any Those reynolds had other pakistani added to it and they eventually were know as hydrabad asil. Most of the east coast are that way. The true indian are more shamo like, mayloid or upright and larger, through inbreeding they lose some size but when outcrosswed to a true indian, size comes back with colour patterns from 300 to 400 hundred years ago.

Back
Top Bottom