Am I feeding properly?

You should be feeding about 1/4th pound of feed per laying hen per day. No scratch other than as an occasional treat for laying hens. The limitation on eggs is protein intake so laying pellets or crumbles are best. If you mix feed the hens tend to rake through the feed to get to the tasty bits like corn and usually waste feed doing that. Keep the feed in front of the hens 24/7 in a good metal treadle feeder.

You should be feeding about 1/4th pound of feed per laying hen per day. No scratch other than as an occasional treat for laying hens. The limitation on eggs is protein intake so laying pellets or crumbles are best. If you mix feed the hens tend to rake through the feed to get to the tasty bits like corn and usually waste feed doing that. Keep the feed in front of the hens 24/7 in a good metal treadle feeder.

I had been mixing "scratch" in with the 20% crumbles. I will be getting more crumbles later this week, so I can feed them only the crumbles, with other stuff as an occasional treat.

Thanks for all the replies.

TWG

I went to the Wendland's website... They do not list details of their feed on the site.

Can you take a picture of the feed tag/label of your bag please?

https://www.wendlands.com/wendlands_bird.shtml

@Texas Kiki

Here's the nutritional analysis for the Wendland's 151 Crumbles 20%:

TWG

CrumblesNutrition.JPG

Back
Top Bottom