Age for fodder and fermented grains for Chicks

I feed mine 2 parts cornmeal (coarse) 1 part chia seeds and 1 part quinoa. I do not ferment it. It is all pretty small and easy for them. About 6 weeks old I add fermented whole wheat (3 days of soaking). At this age they are big enough for the wheat, which they love. At 8 weeks you can add fermented pearl barley. So, you will find they need more cornmeal, chia, and quinoa, but they gobble up the wheat. At some point you will be omitting the baby food and giving them big chicken feed.

I don't worry about fodder, but you would want to use plants that are rooted so they can bite off little bits. When they are big enough to go outside they will eat the lawn.

As long as you provide them with chick grit they can eat it now.
You might want to run some through a food processor to make the bit smaller for them though.
My very first batch of chicks that were broody raised, the mother would break up the pieces to feed to her babies.
Thank you for your response I will break it up and feed it to them.

I feed mine 2 parts cornmeal (coarse) 1 part chia seeds and 1 part quinoa. I do not ferment it. It is all pretty small and easy for them. About 6 weeks old I add fermented whole wheat (3 days of soaking). At this age they are big enough for the wheat, which they love. At 8 weeks you can add fermented pearl barley. So, you will find they need more cornmeal, chia, and quinoa, but they gobble up the wheat. At some point you will be omitting the baby food and giving them big chicken feed.

I don't worry about fodder, but you would want to use plants that are rooted so they can bite off little bits. When they are big enough to go outside they will eat the lawn.
I will try the recipe you use it sounds great. And thank you for the tip on making sure the fodder is rooted. Appreciate your help!

Back
Top Bottom