African or Chinese geese? Temperments

vicki2x2

Super Chick
11 Years
Feb 9, 2008
Central Michigan
We want to get a couple of geese. Our first choice was brown chinese, but we read somewhere they are quite agressive. So we thought we would get African instead.

What I would like to know, for those who have them, what their temperments are really like? Chinese and African. We will raise them from chicks and give them lots of attention. Also, would it be better to have 2 males or 2 females instead of a pair? Would they be less protective then?

Thanks for the help!

Vicki

Don't have white chinese we have Embdens. We raised them from day olds and gave them alot of attention All was well until the males strted gettin frisky Now i can't even go into their pens without something to protect myself. as the males will bite. We also had to separate them as we had three males and with mating season our dominant male tried to hurt the other males. We only have three males and four females. If I had it to do over I would get only females. they at least are somewhat friendly

I had a male African, and he was great. I used to have some Embdens, and I thought they had nasty attitudes. I've never had a Chinese, though I think they are very graceful and beautiful.

Chinese are so fuuny. Their honk is unlike any other foose. I found mine playful. With that said, my Embdens and Pilgrims are the mellow ones. Of course, they are breeding and laying eggs at the moment, so they're being territorial. It's just part of living with geese.

Thanks for all the replys. Does anyone know if we had two males or two females if we would have to worry about the aggressiveness during breeding time? Would males or females be better? We have young children so we want to make sure they are safe, but really want a couple of geese to hang out with us!

Vicki

If you raise them from day old goslings, they imprint on you and will just be like having puppies. If you let a mother hatch her eggs herself, thoug, watch out. Both parents will guard the offspring for about a year to the death! I only incubate goslings now, not under their mom's.

Personally, I like 1 male 2 female trios.

We will raise them from day olds or hatch them out if we can only find eggs. However, what I am worried about is how they will act when they get to breeding age. If them are imprinted on us, will they not be agressive towards us (especially my kids) ? I don't want to breed them, so would it be better to have 2 males, for instance? So we don't run into the breeding behavior?

Also, I would love to have the brown chinese, if we had two males (or females) would they be less aggressive?

Thanks,

Vicki

I love my Brown Chinese! I hatched a pair a few years ago. They loved each other very much, but the gander was killed a few weeks ago by a predator. They are very noisy! And, the gander is very protective during breeding season. He was more mellow so far this spring than he was last year. This was their second breeding season.

You may be better off getting 2 females. However, during nesting season they will be louder and weirder. My female has never tried to bite or flog anyone, but my gander did! She does holler a lot more and spooks more easily.

It is hard to say for sure what will happen. They are individuals, just like any other animal. You may have to pen them up at times. My daughter hates the geese. She won't go outside without the dog with her. They have never done anything to her, but they do run at her with their heads down at times, and it scares her.

DeAnna

Back
Top Bottom