Advice for coop winter ventilation?

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
I've lost three chickens to poor ventilation this year already, because of a small draft between two windows. However, I blocked those drafts and the windows shouldn't be a problem anymore.

But I don't want to lose anymore. We didn't have any problems with this coop last year but we are now. My dad is wondering if we should fill in the cracks on the sides of the coop for the winter. Let me tell you the details. It's hard to explain so bear with me.

This coop/shed is a big wooden box, and we separated it into half to make it a coop and chicken shed. The roof is slanted, it's taller on the shed side.

PXL_20211209_211425315.jpg
Front of coop/shed

The front of the coop has the human door (opening into the coop) and a small window. The door has a small crack in one side but that shouldn't be a problem. The back side has a bigger window. (Both windows are covered now).

The right side has a pop door for the chickens that we leave open full time. (We close the run door outside to keep predators out) The left side is the chicken shed.

PXL_20211209_210646668.MP.jpg
Right side of coop with pop door

The coop ventilation cracks (all are at the top of the coop) consist of the cracks on the front and back of the coop and a two-inch gap on the whole left side that connects to the shed. The shed has lots of cracks and gaps to the the air out. Don't forget that the pop hole is open all night too.

PXL_20211209_211338789.jpg
Crack on the back side of the coop (identical to front side)

PXL_20211209_210615286.jpg
2-inch gap that stretches along the whole right side of the coop, leads into the shed

PXL_20211209_210709974.jpg
Showing some ventilation a corner of the shed. The gap above the shelf is where it connects to the coop

For mesurements and more pics you can look in my article for this coop. I think it's called The Chick Coop. Please let me know if I should clarify anything or take more pics.

My dad wants to stuff the cracks on the front and back of the coop with rags or something. This will leave only the gap into the shed for proper ventilation. Will this let enough moisture out? Or should we just leave it how it is?

I've lost three chickens to poor ventilation this year already,
What were the symptoms that made you think that's what killed them? How many birds do you have?

My dad wants to stuff the cracks on the front and back of the coop with rags or something. This will leave only the gap into the shed for proper ventilation. Will this let enough moisture out? Or should we just leave it how it is?
DO NOT DO THAT.

You need enough ventilation to ensure a good exchange of air. The rule of thumb is 1 sf/chicken of open ventilation, 24/7/365. Up high above the birds' heads is the best place. Heat and ammonia both rise, and will help carry out the moisture. The open pop door will bring in enough air to keep the circulation going.

The openings you have now are in a good location, but are not enough. They do need to be covered with hardware cloth to keep predators, mice, and rats out. ("Open ventilation" is to be construed as covered with hardware cloth to keep critters out.)

Remember, chickens are wearing down parkas all the time. If we can provide them with a dry place, they can keep themselves warm.

Thank you both so much for your replies and advice! I will tell my dad what you said.

What were the symptoms that made you think that's what killed them? How many birds do you have?
They have been spread out over several weeks, and all the other chickens otherwise appear healthy. So I ruled out disease. Oh, and it's been one male and two females. I didn't look super closely at their bodies (I struggle with that) but there were no signs of physical injury or sickness.
The first couple who died were on the coldest nights we have had so far (I think it was mid-twenties) and the third was on a wet just-above-freezing night. In two of the cases (first and third) the bedding on the coop floor was a little damp and needed a changing.
The biggest giveaway was that I found them all in the mornings lying in direct line between the two windows, where a draft must have blown straight through.
The third (who died on the wet night) had a fairly large bare spot on her back where the roosters had overmated her. I didn't notice how badly she was being overmated until I found her dead. This was probably why the draft got to her.
The coop is not too full but most of the chickens try to sleep on the higher roost, one side of which is where the draft hit.
I have a healthy flock and this is the only reason I can see why these deaths happened.

I understand that some aspects of this were my fault, and I feel terrible. But I'm taking action now to help them.

Drafts by themselves shouldn't directly kill otherwise healthy chickens, but since you were aware you had a draft issue it's good that you addressed it. However I agree with the others that you need more, not less, ventilation. The trick with vent placement is making sure that they are protected from winds and weather and aren't placed in such a way tht would allow drafts over the roost area.

Not an expert here, since this is only the second winter raising chickens. Just some thoughts:

I wonder if there is any way you can deflect the draft, but NOT close the gap? e.g. use cardboaord, wood or plastic sheets to block the draft but still let the air in/out? Or prevent them from roosting in the direct path of the airflow?

With a solid wood shed like yours, inside the shed/coop is probably 5-10 degree higher than outside. Mid twenties outside means inside should be near 30 or above. It should still be warm enough for the chickens.

I wonder if there is any way you can deflect the draft, but NOT close the gap? e.g. use cardboaord, wood or plastic sheets to block the draft but still let the air in/out? Or prevent them from roosting in the direct path of the airflow?
Yes, there is:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ventilation-baffling.75434/

With a solid wood shed like yours, inside the shed/coop is probably 5-10 degree higher than outside. Mid twenties outside means inside should be near 30 or above. It should still be warm enough for the chickens.
Not necessarily.
It's not the temp so much as the humidity that should be equal inside and outside the coop.

Back
Top Bottom