Adding Two Pekin

Bahari

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2023
I'm going to add two Pekin to my current flock of Runners so they don't end up letting them go on a lake some where. Is it going to be pretty easy to add them to the flock? Is there anything I need to do to help this adjustment?

there's two options really. my preferred method is just to put them in with the others right away. I've never had an issue there going to bite each other establishing dominance. only lasts for about 5 mins. or you can separate through a fence where they can see each other for a few days then put them together and they will still bite each other and what not to establish the pecking order. LOL

I put a Cayuga duck with my Rouen and nothing happened, They were both just quacking at each other and eventually just acted like they know each other for their entire lives. I don't know if this will apply to runners and pekins, But my best bet is to put them in casually.

Usually when introducing new ducks it's best to have them separate but where they can see each other for a couple days, then slowly introduce them while you supervise closely. One thing to consider is you now have two speeds of ducks - pekins are slow and heavyweight compared to runners. But they're great ducks! So sweet of you to take them!

Back
Top Bottom