Adding single chick to brooder

gabigirl21

Chirping
Aug 11, 2021
PNW
Hey all,
There was a snafoo with chicks at the feed store and I had originally planned to get 3 chicks the first week and 2 chicks the following week (mixed breeds). Last week one of my chicks arrived early and so I got 4 chicks.
My final chick (buff Orpington) is set to arrive either tomorrow or Friday and I’m wondering if it’ll be too difficult to add just one chick to the brooder? Should I add a second? I didn’t want 6 chickens (my run plans make 53 sq feet which is perfect for 5), but I also don’t want the chick to suffer if it’s alone and a week younger than the others. I’ve chosen relatively docile breeds: black australorp, Easter eggers, and a barred rock.

Thoughts? Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey all,
There was a snafoo with chicks at the feed store and I had originally planned to get 3 chicks the first week and 2 chicks the following week (mixed breeds). Last week one of my chicks arrived early and so I got 4 chicks.
My final chick (buff Orpington) is set to arrive either tomorrow or Friday and I’m wondering if it’ll be too difficult to add just one chick to the brooder? Should I add a second? I didn’t want 6 chickens (my run plans make 53 sq feet which is perfect for 5), but I also don’t want the chick to suffer if it’s alone and a week younger than the others. I’ve chosen relatively docile breeds: black australorp, Easter eggers, and a barred rock.

Thoughts? Thank you!
If you add it in with the other ones it should be fine, since it is a little bit younger they might pick on it a little bit, but I wouldn’t be worried.

Young chicks are pretty accepting of newcomers, so I'd put them together and just keep an eye on things throughout the day. Worst case scenario, you'll need to put a wire divider in the brooder so they can see but not touch the new arrival - after a couple of days they should be used to each other enough to be allowed to mingle.

I've done it before too and as long as they are all very close in age, it isn't usually a problem. In fact I debated about doing it this year after only 6 of my 10 Sapphire Gems from Jenk's survived after being manhandled by the post office (one DOA and the rest dying within 24 hrs). Our local feed store had just gotten a batch of Rhode Island Red pullets, and I thought about replacing the dead ones with them. But since the Sapphire Gems had been under so much stress already, I decided not to. Now that they are point of lay pullets, I cleaned out and disinfected the brooder and may get some this fall if the feed store gets any.

Back
Top Bottom