Added wifi and web cam to my barn

randombrad

Chirping
6 Years
May 2, 2014
the corn crib part of the barn has been converted into a chicken coop. I first tried to add Internet from the house to the barn via powerline adapters, but the distance was too great. I found success with usinging a wifi extender. The live cam is at farmerbrad.com/camera

Sorry if you've tried the web cam, it's down haven't had time to see why yet.

The wifi extender I used is the NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender, Essentials Edition (EX2700) around $45 off of amazon. I was able to plug it just inside my barn where there is low signal and it blasted wifi in most of the barn. I like that there is an ethernet cable if you need to hardwire a device instead of wifi only. Hope that helps!

the corn crib part of the barn has been converted into a chicken coop. I first tried to add Internet from the house to the barn via powerline adapters, but the distance was too great. I found success with usinging a wifi extender. The live cam is at farmerbrad.com/camera

Good for you, Brad! I want to do that myself. We have a baby monitor in the main coop, but it doesn't have a camera. Still helps, but... I want a real barn, too, though, like my grandfather had. That camera will come in handy, but I sort of hope you don't catch anything unpleasant on there, if you know what I mean. At least, if something happens, it won't be a mystery, right? Have fun!

Last edited:
Sorry if you've tried the web cam, it's down haven't had time to see why yet. 

The wifi extender I used is the NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender, Essentials Edition (EX2700) around $45 off of amazon. I was able to plug it just inside my barn where there is low signal and it blasted wifi in most of the barn. I like that there is an ethernet cable if you need to hardwire a device instead of wifi only. Hope that helps!

Thank you! I am going to get one I think. What do I do if theres no wifi in the barn to extend?

My barn is only 100 feet from the house. I have a router in the house then I run Ethernet to an old DSL router that I use as a wifi hotspot. Then I put the wifi extender in the barn closest to the house. The extender has an Ethernet port that I run directly to the camera.

To get the web cam on my website, my ISP provided me with a public IP address. I found the local ip of my camera, then in the router in the house I login to its admin panel. I add the cameras IP address to the port forward section and port address. Then on the website I put an image that accesses an image snapshot then I use JavaScript to refresh the image every 2 seconds. Hope this info helps.

My barn is only 100 feet from the house. I have a router in the house then I run Ethernet to an old DSL router that I use as a wifi hotspot. Then I put the wifi extender in the barn closest to the house. The extender has an Ethernet port that I run directly to the camera.

To get the web cam on my website, my ISP provided me with a public IP address. I found the local ip of my camera, then in the router in the house I login to its admin panel. I add the cameras IP address to the port forward section and port address. Then on the website I put an image that accesses an image snapshot then I use JavaScript to refresh the image every 2 seconds. Hope this info helps.

Let us know if you see something really interesting, will you? I hope nothing bad, though.

Back
Top Bottom