Acute growth on hens neck

Pics

SmiYa0126

Free Ranging
Jul 6, 2021
SE Pennsylvania
11 month old RIR pullet, noticed a growth on side of her neck on Sunday afternoon.

No observed bruising.

Doesn't appear to have increased in size.

Ate well on Sunday evening, laid an egg on Monday.

Gave vitamin E, selenium, b complex, and amoxicillin on Sunday.

@Wyorp Rock @azygous @Eggcessive @aart

Now force feeding eggs, meat and grubs.

Gave calcium citrate Tuesday and Wednesday in addition to the other supplements.

No improvement, she seems to lean forward because of the growth.

The only thing she's eaten willingly is a little bit of raw yolk and cucumber, drinking as well.

They're fed later crumble and some chick starter for extra protein, she started laying about three months ago. The flock free ranges days most days. She's a robust, good motivated hen.

Any ideas what this could be? Should I try to drain it? Lance it?

Attachments

• PXL_20230223_004957300.jpg
    PXL_20230223_004957300.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20230223_005010391.jpg
    PXL_20230223_005010391.jpg
    666.1 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20230223_004751663.jpg
    PXL_20230223_004751663.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230223_004805153.jpg
    PXL_20230223_004805153.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 10
Is it soft or rock hard or somewhere in between? If it's soft, it could be an abscess. You can try hot compresses on it several times a day, careful not to get it hot enough to burn skin.

Do you see any source of abrasion or puncture injuries? How is her crop? It would be wise to do a morning crop check to be sure this is not associated with her crop.

Is she eating on her own or did that stop after Sunday?

Is she active or lethargic?

Is she pooping normal amounts? How does her poop look?
Only thing she's eating on her own is cucumber and a little yolk. The rest I'm force feeding.

I have her crated, shes bright eyed, but not moving around that much in the box. Added still very strong. Fights me very hard.

Poops are very small as she's not eating that much.

Is it soft or rock hard or somewhere in between? If it's soft, it could be an abscess. You can try hot compresses on it several times a day, careful not to get it hot enough to burn skin.

Do you see any source of abrasion or puncture injuries? How is her crop? It would be wise to do a morning crop check to be sure this is not associated with her crop.
It feels semi hard. Not soft like a hematoma.
There doesn't appear to be any scratches or anything like that.

Her crop is on the other side of her neck I can see the food moving down her throat and into her crop. the lump is a couple inches below her head.

This could be a neoplastic tumor, not uncommon in poultry. I had a hen who lived with one over her eye for over six years until she died at nearly age fourteen.

I suggest the hot compresses in the event it's an abscess. If this is what it is, it will help it reduce in size over the next few days. If it doesn't change after this treatment, then I would assume it's a tumor. As long as the hen is behaving normally, it shouldn't interfere in her life. If she begins to experience pain from it, she will act lethargic, self isolate, stop eating, and then you may want to consider euthanizing her.

This could be a neoplastic tumor, not uncommon in poultry. I had a hen who lived with one over her eye for over six years until she died at nearly age fourteen.

I suggest the hot compresses in the event it's an abscess. If this is what it is, it will help it reduce in size over the next few days. If it doesn't change after this treatment, then I would assume it's a tumor. As long as the hen is behaving normally, it shouldn't interfere in her life. If she begins to experience pain from it, she will act lethargic, self isolate, stop eating, and then you may want to consider euthanizing her.
Thank you! 😢 Would twice a day be enough or more?

Back
Top Bottom