Goosebaby

Free Ranging
Nov 10, 2019
Northern California
Just a tip for goose owners out there.

FORCING A BIRD TO REGURGITATE IS RISKY AS IT CAN CAUSE THEM TO ASPIRATE!

But If you can’t get them to a vet and if you need to do it in an emergency.....

Method 1.

Pick the goose up, hold them as far upside down as you can with one arm. Use your free hand to hold their head downwards. Set them upright as soon as they’ve started vomiting. This is the riskier method in my opinion.

Method 2.

“Method 2 is a safer version in my opinion because it’s on their terms how they regurgitate.”

Give them denegard at a higher dose than they should have, a mililieter more than indicated dosage.
Denegard induces nausea and vomiting, some geese are more prone to vomiting it up than others but it usually does the trick.
One of the reasons it causes them to regurgitate it is because denegard has a burning effect on the throat, you’ll know how it feels if you’ve ever swallowed listerine with strep throat or spilt denegard onto a cut. It is nasty stuff for the poor birds, but a necessary one if your birds have some strains of mycoplasma, spirochetes, or you really need to get them to vomit.

DO NOT GIVE DENEGARD IF YOUR BIRDS ARE ON A MEDICATED FEED.

Denegard (tiamulin) causes a deadly interaction when combined with Monensin, Narasin, or Salinomycin for 7 days before or after Denagard Tiamulin treatment

Last edited:
Denegard is supposed to be used to treat mycoplasma. ;) I would not suggest using this to induce vomiting.
I know what it treats, but I noticed denegard’s nausea inducing effects when treating my birds for mycoplasma last year, it came in handy when one of my geese swallowed something he shouldn’t have and I didn’t have many options so rather than watch him die from poisoning I decided to try giving him denegard, and he threw it up.

Back
Top Bottom