A deck for my chickens

crj

Songster
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Rocky Point, NC
I decided that my chicken house needed something. The fencing is down and the house just didn't look right. So, I made a deck. I made this out of scrap lumber and probably cost me $10 to make. Here it is.

45848_1-31-11d_2.jpg

Next I will have to redo the front of the building since the wood is rotting away.

Does anyone know where to get small windows like the one on this house? I have no idea where to find small windows like this. I'm hoping they aren't very expensive. I wouldn't mind learning house to make a window that just pops out either. There are places I can get glass but I don't know how to go about making a frame for it. Any suggestions would be very helpful. I'm enjoying this building gig.

Have you tried Homedepot/Lowes ?

I sure have. They would have to special order them. You know what that means....... high price. Habitat for Humanity didn't have any either. I tried there today. The one here can get expensive. They make the prices up in there heads..... you watch them think, then make a face, think again, distort there face then come up with a price way to high. Very frustrating. Although, I did get a great deal on shingles.​

Small windows like that are usually sample windows. You almost have to find someone/business tossing them out when they change styles. Are there any surplus stores near you? CraigsList under materials?

Quote:
You can make a simple window (non moving) by framing it like a picture frame. Check out Glass shops. You know where they cut glass custom. Take a picture of your little Very cute house and ask your questions. I betcha someone there will know how to make them or know someone who knows how.

Make a frame, like for a picture, then use a router to cut a rabitt all around the inside edge. This will be where your glass will go. Attach hinges to the top and secure to the coop. The window will then be able to open outward and latch at the bottom with a barrel-bolt.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom