8 week old chick

Greeneyedgirll

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2024
My 8 week old chick has suddenly become aggressive! Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. I do have 2 small kids who like to hold them every now and then and just scared she might harm them šŸ™ˆ
IMG_7254.jpeg

Often the first sign of a bird being a cockerel is that their comb and wattles come in early and darken to red quickly. Pullets (hen chicks) may get a large comb and wattles, but will not usually darken until they're ready to lay, at about 4-6 months.

Do you know what breed he is?

My 8 week old chick has suddenly become aggressive! Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. I do have 2 small kids who like to hold them every now and then and just scared she might harm them šŸ™ˆ
Definitely a cockerel. Since you have littles and he's already being aggressive, you may need to rehome him, or send him to freezer camp.

Often the first sign of a bird being a cockerel is that their comb and wattles come in early and darken to red quickly. Pullets (hen chicks) may get a large comb and wattles, but will not usually darken until they're ready to lay, at about 4-6 months.

Do you know what breed he is?
I think heā€™s a Bantamā€¦ he was part of mixed eggs batch consisting of Bovans Brown, Brahma, Cream Legbar, Cuckoo Maran, Dekalb White, French Copper Maran, Light Sussex, 'Oliver Eggers' (farmā€™s own hybrid green egg layers) and Welsummer.

Back
Top Bottom