7 week old Lavender Orpington --boy or girl?

hyzenthlay

Songster
12 Years
Feb 26, 2009
SW PA
Hey guys, can you confirm for me whether this 7.5 week old Lav Orp is a cockerel or pullet? I'm fairly certain he's a boy, but before I post him on Craigslist I thought I'd just get a few more opinions. For reference, the Buff Orp behind him in the second and last pictures is the same age, and clearly a pullet. Thanks!

At 7 weeks that is a cockerel - are you certain of the age, though, as he looks rather large and developed for 7-7.5 weeks.

Last edited:
Thanks, @Cel45 .

@Ol Grey Mare , yep, hatched on 9/11! He is noticeably bigger and heavier than the other two I got that day, the buff orp and an olive egger (welsummer/CCL)--not hugely bigger, but definitely about 20% larger. He looked more substantive as a day-old, too--same baby down as the others, but a little larger. He also seems a bit more assertive than the others. If he's definitely a boy, he has to go, since I have a lot of neighbors and am already stuck with another cockerel who was supposed to be a pullet. Very handsome, but too noisy for the city....

Thanks, @Cel45 .

@Ol Grey Mare , yep, hatched on 9/11! He is noticeably bigger and heavier than the other two I got that day, the buff orp and an olive egger (welsummer/CCL)--not hugely bigger, but definitely about 20% larger. He looked more substantive as a day-old, too--same baby down as the others, but a little larger. He also seems a bit more assertive than the others. If he's definitely a boy, he has to go, since I have a lot of neighbors and am already stuck with another cockerel who was supposed to be a pullet. Very handsome, but too noisy for the city....

Too bad you have to part with such a nice, healthy boy --- but definitely understand. Hope you can find a good placement for him.

Back
Top Bottom