7 Little AGH Babies

Redhead Rae

Chickens, chickens everywhere!
7 Years
Jan 4, 2017
Braxton County, WV
One of my AGH sows had 7 babies last night! She majored on meat. Only one little female.
B10ABD54-0E7B-48C8-8FF6-5CB0895282AA.jpeg

DBADD23E-B2E3-4ACF-AB1F-D25B4157BE58.jpeg

One of the little males got stepped on though. He has a half inch cut on his side and his toes on that back right leg are rolling over a bit. I cleaned him up and put iodine on the cut and put him back with mom.
3AA531CF-C19F-4C2A-9DA3-0AFA5258DF52.jpeg

@Kiki

Well, the injured baby disappeared about half an hour after I returned him to mama. I surmise he died and she cleaned up, or she didn't like the smell of the iodine and did away with what she assumed to be an intruder in the nest.

I had one other baby that got away from mama. He wandered off, got chilled and it almost killed him. I got it inside, warmed him up, fed him some colostrum I had on hand (I bought powdered colostrum and milk replacer just in case), gave him a bit of molasses to get his sugar levels up, and I put him back with mama. I can't tell which one he is now. I'm glad I was able to save him!

Hungry, Hungry Piggies!

Well, the injured baby disappeared about half an hour after I returned him to mama. I surmise he died and she cleaned up, or she didn't like the smell of the iodine and did away with what she assumed to be an intruder in the nest.

I had one other baby that got away from mama. He wandered off, got chilled and it almost killed him. I got it inside, warmed him up, fed him some colostrum I had on hand (I bought powdered colostrum and milk replacer just in case), gave him a bit of molasses to get his sugar levels up, and I put him back with mama. I can't tell which one he is now. I'm glad I was able to save him!

Hungry, Hungry Piggies!
What do you mean injured?
What happened?

I also removed the other sow (Freda) from the pen. She was was the one that stepped on the baby. She is a few weeks to a month or more out from farrowing and wasn't feeling motherly at all. Jericho calmed down a LOT after I moved Freda out.

Back
Top Bottom