64sq ft coop for 6 chickens?

I live in norther NB Canada and it gets down to -30c(-24f) multiple times a winter here. We just have a thinly insulated coop and have vents that are high enough that it is above their roosts. None of our chickens have ever had an issue with the cold. When they are a little cold they just fluff out and keep themselves warm. We do use the long side of 2x4's for their roost so they can more easily cover their toes if they are cold. We just use a heated dog water dish for their water in the winter.

As for height I would make it a walk in one that is tall enough you can have ventilation above their roosts. And for overall size I always suggest go bigger as chicken math is a thing and if your 6 hens turn into 16 you will be happy with the extra space. Every year my flock seems to get bigger and bigger. I am building a new chicken house this year with a section for a brooder for babies in the future.

What would be a good height? Something I am comfortable working in?
Basically yes.

I would plan for the tallest person who might ever go in there (consider spouse, teenager, best friend, and potential chicken-tending-neighbor for vacations), then allow for the length of tool handles (no fun to have your rake banging the ceiling), and for bedding to pile up a foot or two deep.

It often works well to put new bedding on top of the old during the winter, until it gets pretty deep, then clean it all out in the springtime. If you do that, put a removable board across the bottom of the door, so the bedding doesn't fall out every time you open it. One screw at each end of the board is a good way to make it secure enough but still removable (yes, the screws go at the top corners, because you don't want to have to dig out the bottom corners to remove it.)

What would be a good height? Something I am comfortable working in?
A taller coop is also helpful to keep ventilation above the heads of the birds in the roost...in a hot or especially a cold climate.
Go bigger on coop space for those nasty winter storms when they might not be able to go outside for days on end. Unless you have a run that is is weather proof/resistant.
Here's some tips abut heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

Zero F isn't particularly cold (as chickens account such things, anyways).
Well, yeah it can be, if it goes on for days at a time.
You know a lot of things, but have you ever kept chickens where it is regularly that cold?

Welcome to BYC! @Nimbletoes
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1715085943013.png

Ohhhh okay! I think that should be plenty big enough then
Hey there! My wife and I are planning on either building or buying a coop this year, and we want to get 6 hens. Would a 64sq ft coop be a good size for this? If so, what height would be best? This size includes room for exploring and nesting boxes. Additionally, what is the best practice for keeping them warm in the winter? The area we live in can frequently get down to zero farenheit for periods, so I want to make sure they stay safe!
Hi!
I'm at the same stage, in a similar climate, and I have questions too.

I'm thinking I want a 10 x 12 walk in so I have a place to keep a brooder/medical room, a permanent roost/poop tray set up, indoor nesting boxes (due to winter cold), with space for food, water, and a dust bath in the winter.
(Maybe I can do those things in the run....)

Attached to that I hope to have a 10 x 15 covered run, which I plan to wrap with plastic in the winter. I've heard that chickens don't mind the cold, but that they hate walking through snow.

They could free range for a decent part of the year, but they will be stuck in the space we build them, for at least 4 months.

I'm planning to raise 5 chicks, if I ever get this all started.

Which came first?
The brooder or the coop? 😉

Back
Top Bottom