6 mo cockerel rejected by hens

One thing I noticed is that in some species of animals, the lowest animals in the pecking order tend to be the hardest on a newcomer. I have three horses. We added a fourth, and the omega in the herd chased him mercilessly for at least an hour. The finally both got so tired that they stopped, sniffed each other all over and were fine after that. I think your hen is irritable because of being broody. But, as Ridgerunner said, your cockerel is a little boy in with women. They teach him some manners before they accept him.

Two weeks is usually the length of time it takes for chickens to accept newbies if the newbies are not hiding. Chickens like to settle a pecking order rate off. I have noticed that hens like roosters that is their own breed, size or age. If the hen does not like the rooster she will try to fight him. You should not let your rooster be bidding from this hen. If your rooster is not able to be around this hen the hen may never accept him. It would be tough the first two weeks but after that the hen should accept your rooster. It would help if the bantam could grow bigger if that was possible :). My rooster Duke took a long time for the hens to accept him and some still hasn't. He is bigger but is younger than these hens. He is also clean legged like all of them accept for my hen Nalla. Once your hen realizes that Carl is to be the king of the flock she may accept him. If this is your first rooster she may not know what to do with this beautiful new chicken.

Update 10 th day. I've kept Carl partitioned next to the flock, and 2 days ago, let one of the leghorn pullets in to visit. He was terrified, but she ignored him, wanting only to eat his food and dig in his yard. I tried it with other leghorns, 2, 3 at a time, same results. Later, the d'uccle showed curiosity, so I put her in. Carl immediately did his rooster dance, and grabbed her by the neck. She shrieked, ran away, and I let her out. Well his hormones are working, I see. So I later opened his front and back gates and watched. BTW, the 2 hens were out free ranging, so it was just the 6 pullets. The leghorns all crowded in to dig up his yard, the d'uccle stayed far away, and surprisingly, the Sebright noticed him and ignored him! He stayed away from them all and it looked hopeful. So it was getting late and I let the hens in. They immediately chased him, and he was terrified. They had chased the pullets like this during integration,and it didn't seem like a big deal. The pullets were spunky, and not fazed. But Carl was in a total panic, shrieking in fear, flinging himself against the fence, and finally diving into a nest box hiding his head. All you could see was his white fluffy butt....So I scooped him up and closed him back in his pen. Sigh. We'll give him more time. When I'm at home I can put the hens out and give him more time with the pullets. And we shall see....

Last edited:
Any way you could let Carl free range too? That might help his mojo if he has all the space in the world to work out the best approach on those hens. He's doing ok penned with the pullets since they aren't being aggressive but he really might need some running room to deal with the "mature" ladies. :)

My suggestion would be lock up the aggressive Seabright and any cohorts she has and let the young cockerel mingle with the friendly ladies. Aside from that, I would say a couple hours of look but don't touch might not be enough. Sometimes it's a couple of weeks. All depends on flock dynamics. NONE of my bantams seem to know they aren't pit bulls!

Pretty birds. :love

pull the sea bright, put her in the cage, let the rest work it out.

I agree. Remove the sebright and other attackers temporarily and let the cockerel be with the friendly hens. Wait a few more days, reindroduce them, and see how it goes. Eventually, the sebright should accept him.

Any way you could let Carl free range too? That might help his mojo if he has all the space in the world to work out the best approach on those hens. He's doing ok penned with the pullets since they aren't being aggressive but he really might need some running room to deal with the "mature" ladies. :)
He probably doesn't have the smarts to free range or know how to get back in. The hens come when called, they understand when I open the gate to hop in quick. He's not going to be eager to come into what he considers hostile territory I don't know if he even considers me a friend.
But our run is really big, about 1000 sq ft, there are several small bushes, and a building to run around...he could evade the chasers. But he sees no one as friendly and he runs from them all except the d'uccle and they're everywhere. He's easily daunted..:oops:
.We'll figure it out....

But our run is really big, about 1000 sq ft, there are several small bushes, and a building to run around...he could evade the chasers.
Maybe put up more 'hiding places'?
2x2's and branches for roosts in run. Logs, stumps, pallets leaned against wall or against another pallet or up on concrete blocks, grazing frames, old table/chairs/benches...lots of stuff you can use to allow a subordinate to get out of an aggressors 'space' and/or line of sight.

Maybe put up more 'hiding places'?
2x2's and branches for roosts in run. Logs, stumps, pallets leaned against wall or against another pallet or up on concrete blocks, grazing frames, old table/chairs/benches...lots of stuff you can use to allow a subordinate to get out of an aggressors 'space' and/or line of sight.
yes! I've already started the process. Yesterday I made a pile of rotting logs in there, put up a 'baffle' fence section....I like your idea of chairs, tables, we have lots of junk like that I could add...and remove later.
This morning I let 2 of the leghorns in with him and I think he started a little dance for them....then he 'chickened out' and ran from them...they didn't give him a second glance.....I will get him used to the pullets first, so he knows he has friends and gains confidence.
Are Cochins in general extremely shy? Or will he eventually get cocky? I am remaining standoffish to him, to avoid encouraging any aggressive rooster stuff.

Are Cochins in general extremely shy? Or will he eventually get cocky? I am remaining standoffish to him, to avoid encouraging any aggressive rooster stuff.
All birds are individuals, I don't give much credence to breed behavioral characteristics. With males, I don't cuddle them, do walk 'thru' them, handle off roost a few times so they know they 'won't die' and handling may happen on occasion, and I handle the females in front of them so they know that's OK too. Calm confidence and a soft voice thru it all.

Back
Top Bottom