5 Week Old Black Copper Marans Pullet/Cockerel?

I'm just guessing, your first post (3/21) I'd say Cockerel....Second post (4/9) guessing Cockerel....Latest post (4/18) guessing Pullet but I'm not familiar with this breed. Could you post a closer pic of it's back area, looking for hackle (tail area) & streamers (neck area). It's a test of patience for those that can't have Roosters :(
Here are a few pictures from today. Let me know if you need more or different ones.

Thanks again for all of your help. :)

At 9 weeks, I'm leaning towards a pullet - but keep an eye out for saddle feathers, which should start to develop in another few weeks. The BCM roos that I have had were really obviously roosters with comb and wattle development obvious early.

Sorry to keep posting, but I just can't figure out what sex this bird is. We are now at 11.5 weeks. Pullet or cockerel. Sorry not the best pictures. She/he is a very docile bird, but when you let it down to take photos it never stops moving. :)

Thanks everyone for looking/commenting. :)

Sorry to keep posting, but I just can't figure out what sex this bird is. We are now at 11.5 weeks. Pullet or cockerel. Sorry not the best pictures. She/he is a very docile bird, but when you let it down to take photos it never stops moving. :) Thanks everyone for looking/commenting. :)
My guess is pullet! I have a girl that's just the same as yours. For the longest time I thought she was a boy because she grew so fast (biggest of all the babies), has thick legs, and comb was getting taller w/ small wattles around 6 weeks. But she's a pullet
1f604.png
At least I really hope so! Lol Here she is, she's younger than yours, she's 7weeks

Last edited:
Thanks @kmfehrer2 and @GNRMorgans . I appreciate the comments. So hoping you guys are right. Really want some of those chocolate eggs. :) I hope yours is a pullet too @kmfehrer2 , shes cute.

I guess it's a pullet's. My Coockoo Maran grows fast and became big and fat, so I guess your pullet's comb is normal.

Last edited:
Ok, so here is an update for those who are interested in sexing their BCMs. Latte is now 24 weeks old. Photos don't do her justice...she turned out to be a beautiful hen with radiant tones of green and purple on her black feathers. I was pretty surprised since she definitely went through an ugly duckling (or crow) phase. She is definitely a pullet and has started laying dark brown eggs. :) Hers is the darkest egg in the photo on the far left.

Back
Top Bottom