5 week Gold Laced Wyandotte chick gender?

FlmChick

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 25, 2012
I have 2 GLW chicks approximately 5 weeks old. One is clearly a roo. We are trying to figure out if this chick is also a boy. They both have really thick legs and are some of my bravest chicks, but they are also the oldest. This chick in question's comb is not as red and has a point coming in at the top whereas the definite roo's comb is super red, flat and wide. The known roo has red wattles starting and this one doesn't yet. The chick wasn't very interested in picture taking. It's my least-cooperative chick of the bunch. Thanks for your input!

Here's a body shot:

The two GLW together. The one on the right is definitely a rooster. I can even see that as a newbie!!
tongue.png

Angie
new mother hen of 10 chicks (chicken math got me already!)

I agree that the one on the right is a cockrell with his bright red comb but the one on the left most certainly looks like a pullet in my opinion.

Looks like a boy to me...those are BIG legs!

I have 2 GLW chicks approximately 5 weeks old. One is clearly a roo. We are trying to figure out if this chick is also a boy. They both have really thick legs and are some of my bravest chicks, but they are also the oldest. This chick in question's comb is not as red and has a point coming in at the top whereas the definite roo's comb is super red, flat and wide. The known roo has red wattles starting and this one doesn't yet. The chick wasn't very interested in picture taking. It's my least-cooperative chick of the bunch. Thanks for your input!

Here's a body shot:

The two GLW together. The one on the right is definitely a rooster. I can even see that as a newbie!!
tongue.png

Angie
new mother hen of 10 chicks (chicken math got me already!)

Thanks everyone! They are my least friendly chicks so I'm not too sad if they are both roos. I will need to trim down my flock so having some be roos makes that decision easier!!

Thanks again!!

Angie

Back
Top Bottom