4 week old chick won't open eyes now!! HELP!

Henchanted

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2017
Monroe, Washington
I have a 4 week old cochin chick with 18 other various chicks in a large brooder. I saw her just laying so still while the others were running around being normal for the middle of the day. I went into the brooder and picked her up. She peeped but her eyes were closed and she has not opened them. Any ideas?

I have a 4 week old cochin chick with 18 other various chicks in a large brooder. I saw her just laying so still while the others were running around being normal for the middle of the day. I went into the brooder and picked her up. She peeped but her eyes were closed and she has not opened them. Any ideas?
I'm so sorry to hear that one of our babies isn't doing well. The list of Chicken dieseases, illness, disorders is so big and hard to diagnose honesty.
Was she fine up until this point? Acting normal? And if so when did she start acting lathargic and wouldn't open her eyes?

I'm so sorry to hear that one of our babies isn't doing well. The list of Chicken dieseases, illness, disorders is so big and hard to diagnose honesty.
Was she fine up until this point? Acting normal? And if so when did she start acting lathargic and wouldn't open her eyes?

Now there are two. I think it might be dust. I put them in a separate brooding box to watch them. So upsetting! Poor chicks. It started today. After i changed the bedding. Some of the chicks were trying to take dust baths in the pine bedding. They scratch alot and break it down to dust. I hope they get better. I am giving them water by putting their beak in water. They are drinking. They open their eyes for a blink and then keep them shut. They just lay still.

We use pine shavings in ours, they are also 4 weeks old, and we've used it since we got them, and they do the same dust bathing without any trouble, it's safe for chickens as long as there is no other additives or any other kind of wood mixed in. Cedar is toxic. I would defiantly check into the bedding to be safe.
If any more seem to start acting that way it could be something contagious. You could try giving them probiotic and electrolytes that are recommended for chicks, you can give them to chicks and adult chickens. Also there are some antibiotics you can buy over the counter at some farm stores or online if it looks like a contagious issue, Tylan (tylocin) or Gallimycin (erythromycin). Though I am not sure how young you can give it to or how much. Some people on here have suggested them though and have a better idea of how young and how much.
If you give them treats (we started at 2 weeks giving them little bits of treats crushed or pureed) check their crop to make sure they haven't got a impacted crop or sour crop. They can also eat the bedding and get a impacted crop as well. I know that it can cause lethargic behavior but not sure about not opening their eyes.
I hope that you find what ever is going on and everyone pulls through okay. Sorry there's so much info. I didn't want to assume anything but also didn't want to leave out something that might be helpful!
Hopefully someone else adds something in more helpful.

We use pine shavings in ours, they are also 4 weeks old, and we've used it since we got them, and they do the same dust bathing without any trouble, it's safe for chickens as long as there is no other additives or any other kind of wood mixed in. Cedar is toxic. I would defiantly check into the bedding to be safe.
If any more seem to start acting that way it could be something contagious. You could try giving them probiotic and electrolytes that are recommended for chicks, you can give them to chicks and adult chickens. Also there are some antibiotics you can buy over the counter at some farm stores or online if it looks like a contagious issue, Tylan (tylocin) or Gallimycin (erythromycin). Though I am not sure how young you can give it to or how much. Some people on here have suggested them though and have a better idea of how young and how much.
If you give them treats (we started at 2 weeks giving them little bits of treats crushed or pureed) check their crop to make sure they haven't got a impacted crop or sour crop. They can also eat the bedding and get a impacted crop as well. I know that it can cause lethargic behavior but not sure about not opening their eyes.
I hope that you find what ever is going on and everyone pulls through okay. Sorry there's so much info. I didn't want to assume anything but also didn't want to leave out something that might be helpful!
Hopefully someone else adds something in more helpful.

What exactly is a crop and how do you check it?

I figured it would take much less time than typing it all out myself. We check our babies crops everyday to be safe as we give them little bits of stuff along with grit.
1f60a.png

Anytime :)
There's a lot of info, and much of it probably won't apply to this situation, but it will show how to check it. It would be bumped up for sure if it's impacted. I'd be surprised if it was impacted but better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom